Marketing Module 1
• What is marketing: Marketing is delivering value to customers and shareholders
through the relentless improvement of product development, distribution, selling,
advertising and customer service processes.
• Marketing is about the trading of new inventions. It is about new inventions in
trading that increase product quality, reduce price and increase customer
satisfaction, which in turn increases profits.
• North American companies and workers face changing, challenging times. If they
loose world leadership in product and service innovation and profitable
distribution of such innovation, then nothing can save North America from lower
standers of living.
• Professor Jared Diamond concludes that societies that prospered and came to
dominate were lucky to start off in environments with the right materials and
climates to invent and use tools, and to develop agriculture and herding.
• Today it is indisputably a society’s ability to trade rather than raid that is crucial to
its survival, success, prosperity and power.
• The lessons for today’s political leaders are obvious: respect, promote, improve,
and advance your traders and their trading market skills. Make marketing
(innovation in products, services and the diffusion of innovation) the center piece
of your culture.
• First ecological disaster: In the Middle East, lost its lead over Europe partly
because of climate change, but mainly because over farming destroyed the regions
fragile ecology, turning it into a desert.
• Chinas regress: 1) Ying Dynasty no trading with other nations 2) Emporer – No
interest in British trading, 3) Cultural Revolution – rejected all things Western
• Two drivers of wealth and welf