MKT 500 – Week 5
Focus Groups, Ethnography & Content Analysis Techniques
Ensure you’re talking with the ‘right’ people.
Focus on ‘experts’ moreso than on population representativeness
Ensure participants are informed, protected and comfortable.
Topic: Social Media Fatigue
• What was said?
• What does it mean?
• What are the implications? (for businesses/advertisers, government, society, etc.)
• What further questions do you have?
• Organizing Documents
• Transcribing audio/video recordings
• Verifying documents/transcripts are accurate and complete
• An evolving process
• Line by line analysis
• Assign codes/labels to data
• Can be done manually or with software (e.g. NVIVO, Atlas.ti)
• Grouping/categorizing data according to distinct themes • Categories may change as the analysis process unfolds (some may be merged together; others
may be split into subcategories)
Analyzing qualitative researc