MKT 500 – Week 2
When to say no to research?
• The information already exists.
• timing doesn’t work… we must react now!
• No money available for marketing research.
• Have some money, but the cost outweighs the value gained from marketing research.
• The decision has already been made
• The most important step in the marketing research process.
• If the problem is incorrectly defined, everything that follows is wasted effort.
• Problems may be either ________or _______.
• Problems either look back at events (i.e. what was _______ to happen vs. what ___ happen) or
look ahead to opportunities (i.e. what __ _________ happening vs. what ______ be happening).
• Managers must be careful to avoid confusing symptoms with problems.
• Symptoms are changes in the level of some