Chapter 9 Lecture Notes
Product, Branding, and Packaging Decisions
What is a product?
- A product is the item offered for sale. A product can be an item or service there is more
to its physical shape or basic service function
What is product for marketers?
- Product is anything that can be offered to a market to satisfy a need or want. For
example; physical goods, services, experiences, events, people, places
Complexity of products
- What is the relationship between products and the notion of complexity?
• We as marketers must see ourselves as benefit providers when making products
Types of products
- Four types: specialty, shopping, convenience and unsought
- Unsought products; consumers don’t know about or don’t normally think of buying,
example smoke detectors, web camera, etc.
Change Product Mix Breadth
- Increase breadth – true religion brand jeans now are a lifestyle brand with apparel, belts,
swimwear and fragrances
- Decrease depth – mccormick spices eliminates dozens of products each year
- A brand can use: name, logo symbols, characters, slogans, jingles, and even distinctive
What is a brand
- Name, term, sigh, symbol, or design or a combination of them, intended to identify the
goods and services of one seller or group of sellers and to differentiate them from those
- Simply put, braind is a promise. By identifying and authenticating a product or service it
- Brand elements: brand name, URLS, logos and symbols, characters, slogans, jingles
and sounds Value of branding for customer and marketer
- Value branding: brands facilitate purchasing, brands establish loyalty, brands protect
from competition, brands reduce