MUS 505 (82)
Lecture 6

Week 6 Lecture 2

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
MUS 505
Kim Chow- Morris

MUS505 Lecture 6 Class 2 MOTOWN “Motor City” or “Motor Town” Detroit - Led by producer Berry Gordy Junior (1929) o Another control freak like Phil Spector o All music was done in house o Avoids R&B forms (12 bar blues, doo wop) but retains a subtle R&B flavor o Famous acts included:  Stevie Wonder  The Jackson 5  Gladys Knight and the Pips  The Supremes  The Temptations  Lionel Richie  Marvin Gaye - Motown was the most successfulAfricanAmerican owned business - Internationally reach for a wide audience (all race, religions and classes) - Music was geared towards the youth - Reassembled the Motor City assembly line – everyone had one function and did it really well, musically speaking, this is what made music sound good (i.e. The Funk Brothers) - All music was done in house - Producers wanted their bands to look clean, suave and non-threatening to reduce the hostility towardsAfrican Americans andAfricanAmerican bands in order to receive favour from people (this was due to the Civil War) - Lyrics were not to be racial, it was meant to be catered universally o Very romantic, meant to counteract threatening image o Diametric – lyrics were always about love but they were either very happy or very sad - Motown was later moved to LosAngeles, California - Alot of gender stuff surfaces – this is the emergence of the first female groups (i.e. the Supremes) “MY GIRL” by The Temptations - Written by Smokey Robinson and Ronald White - Verse-chorus ballad - Repeated solo bass motive = hook - Uses brass and orchestral strings o Lush orchestration (arranging a piece of music for an orchestra) o Like Crooners or Tin PanAlley - Key modulates/changes just before the final verse/chorus is characteristic of Motown “YOU CAN’T HURRY LOVE” by The Supremes - Form is ABCBCB, which is unusually innovative, instrumental interlude - Sets up an expectation
More Less

Related notes for MUS 505

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.