PCS 181 Lecture Notes - London Academy Of Music And Dramatic Art, Electromagnetic Spectrum, Longwave
This preview shows page 1. to view the full 4 pages of the document.
PCS 181 - Class 1
Introduction to Astronomy
The Scientific Method
- Hypothesis- estimated guess. Little irish people paint the grass green
- Experiment – sitting and watching for irish fairies
- Conclusion – grass is green because of the energy transforming
……..and is falsifiable…….
Unit 1: the electromagnetic Spectrum
Astronomical information is transmitted by light they emit.
Starlight- the star’s temperature,
Magnetic fields, etc.
The EM Spectrum
Light: mutually perpendicular oscillating electric and magnetic fields
Light: moves in wavelike pattern at a speed of c=3*108 m/s. = 300000000
Relativity Einstein’s theory
- no object with mass can move at speed of light
- Only light goes to speed of light
Tachyon – particles that moves faster than light (hasn’t been discovered)
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version