PHL 400 (20)
Lecture 4

Week 4 (OCT 8th) - The Liberal State with Locke and Milll

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
PHL 400
Mark Clamen

Locke: natural rights theory Mill: utilitarian views Both support our contemporary state Thomas Hobbes: 1588-1679 - Author of Leviathan (1651) - Early articulator of the social contract theory of the origins of society - materialist, egoist, realist - he is famous for saying that life in the “state of nature” is “solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short” which completely does not agree with Socrates believes we have a natural desire for community Humanity in a state of nature: - Have no natural (i.e. inherit) constraints to their liberty - Outside (prior to) the social systems we built, human beings are essentially beasts: a-moral, pre- rational, self-interested - Even reason itself - Life in nature is lawless: “a war of all against all” (passion vs weakness) (for Hobbes, there is just strength, reason emerges) - And there are no virtues in war, save victory and conquest - Without law, it is meaningless to speak of justie/injustice, right/wrong - In the end, our strongest motivating forces are fear of death and desire for goods, which builds civilisation, not kinship or sense of community Leviathan “The final cause, end, or design of me in the introduction of the restraint upo
More Less

Related notes for PHL 400

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.