Sex as rooted in biology but transcends it
- Bodily disposition – shaped by our social experiences an it shapes our ‘sexual aim’
- Erotogenic zones – bodily desires shaped by experience
- Oedipal complex – child+mom+dad (love circle) we are dependent on others to learn
- through identification of his father sees mother as a sexual object, then dad feels rivalry
and enforces limitations or prohibitions on the child (dos and don’ts)
- we all start as a bisexual and involves a active (masculine) and a passive (feminine)
What our passions reveal
Discontinuity + continuity
o Emotional eroticism
o Physical eroticism
o Religious eroticism
(experience raw emotions) – room with shark tank, beehive while in washroom, all mirrors,
made people have sex while at dinner.
- Breaking down of private space
- Excitement, awe, enjoyment of breaking down of boundaries
- Other side is a sense of disgust, violence, disorientation, confusion
- It is something about human existence revealed in this double orientation towards basic
- There is a taboo/prohibition against sex (should be happening in private not in public)
- Why do we do it? What does it reveal about us that we do it? Or what does it reveal
about us when we experience someone else doing it?
- Why is our reaction to sex the same as our reaction to death?