Philosophy
Course
PHL 606
Professor
Kym Mac Laren
Semester
Winter

Description
- Talk about viewing yourself through new technology and your own consciousness - -------------------------------------------------------------- - Sartre - The other as a subject - What then is love? - Loving as seducing - The (3) triple failure of love Being stared at - Self-conscious  curious as to what they think of me? - They’re judging me - You want to know their interest of me - Invasion of my own experience (confrontational) - Act of dominance - Seeing someone look at another through a keyhole - You become aware of yourself as an object/seen as by the other - Do they see you as pathetic? Someone as should be punished by this? Do they want join you and look through the keyhole? - You’re aware of yourself as a consciousness that has transcended yourself through other - You have a sense that the other’s gaze is in touch with my reality where that reality escapes me - When we give a presentation in class... was it clear? Interesting? We look for others to give perspective that we don’t have access to. - To be human is to never have a hold on yourself, you are always looking at other people for feedback - Pg 351, “it is given to me as a burden (my being, my reality that the other has access to) that is given to me as a burden which I carry without ever being able to turn back and know it” Other people have access to it, but we don’t and its a burden. - We want the other’s sense of us to match with our sense of us, and its something that is really difficult to do. (leads to: LOVE) What then is in falling in love with another? - To be human is to be fundamentally insecure, there are others that become secure - They become this way bc they have regular experiences of people around them regularly validating them in their lives - We either become psychologically insecure or psychologically secure - What you want in life is to find someone who is going to see you as “mattering”, as “valid” as “important in the world”, you are a “center of meaning”, a “perspective that matters” - What you seek is another perspective that justifies you, gives you a sense of security - You seek to assimilate the other’s perspective to your own - You seek to possess another’s consciousness, but not as enslaved or coerced, rather as a freedom! - You want to be the whole world to the other, “you mean everything to me”, you are the center of my world... you give meani
More Less

Related notes for PHL 606

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit