- Talk about viewing yourself through new technology and your own consciousness
- The other as a subject
- What then is love?
- Loving as seducing
- The (3) triple failure of love
Being stared at
- Self-conscious curious as to what they think of me?
- They’re judging me
- You want to know their interest of me
- Invasion of my own experience (confrontational)
- Act of dominance
- Seeing someone look at another through a keyhole
- You become aware of yourself as an object/seen as by the other
- Do they see you as pathetic? Someone as should be punished by this? Do they want
join you and look through the keyhole?
- You’re aware of yourself as a consciousness that has transcended yourself through
- You have a sense that the other’s gaze is in touch with my reality where that reality
- When we give a presentation in class... was it clear? Interesting? We look for others to
give perspective that we don’t have access to.
- To be human is to never have a hold on yourself, you are always looking at other people
- Pg 351, “it is given to me as a burden (my being, my reality that the other has access to)
that is given to me as a burden which I carry without ever being able to turn back and
know it” Other people have access to it, but we don’t and its a burden.
- We want the other’s sense of us to match with our sense of us, and its something that is
really difficult to do. (leads to: LOVE)
What then is in falling in love with another?
- To be human is to be fundamentally insecure, there are others that become secure
- They become this way bc they have regular experiences of people around them
regularly validating them in their lives
- We either become psychologically insecure or psychologically secure
- What you want in life is to find someone who is going to see you as “mattering”, as
“valid” as “important in the world”, you are a “center of meaning”, a “perspective that
- What you seek is another perspective that justifies you, gives you a sense of security
- You seek to assimilate the other’s perspective to your own
- You seek to possess another’s consciousness, but not as enslaved or coerced, rather as
- You want to be the whole world to the other, “you mean everything to me”, you are the
center of my world... you give meani