Philosophy
Course
PHL 606
Professor
Kym Mac Laren
Semester
Winter

Description
**ARE we ever truly and completely happy? Seems like a cycle** **Sartre says there is no truly satisfying neutral middle ground** You just keep moving back and forth between two extremes  He says you have a consciousness of the other’s gaze not just your own that you are bleeding out of.  Doesn’t have to be two eyes looking at you to be felt, (examples: if you’re a soldier in enemy territory and you’re crawling through a forest, the house can look up at you on the hill) you walk around with that sense of vulnerability **Is there a way Sartre offers a solution to this?** You can agree or disagree but go deeper into the issue Sartre 1) Recall 1 attitude towards others (love, masochism) 2) 2 attitude towards others a. Indifference b. Sexual desire c. Sadism 1) Fundamental existential insecurity – my reality (for others) escapes me when you see someone else peeking through a hole in a door. It’s like your reality hemorrhaging. a. You want to captivate that person, so you make yourself seductive so you are a
More Less

Related notes for PHL 606

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit