The City

3 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHL 101
Professor
Julien Beillard

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
PHL 101 – February 2-8, 2011
What is the nature of morality as opposed to immorality? Only knowing that can we figure out whether
morality really is better. Socrates proposes that we turn our attention from morality in the individual to
morality within a society there morality will appear on a larger scale” and it may be easier to perceive
it. (We may wonder, of course, whether this key analogy between individuals and communities is a good
one.)
S begins by imagining a kind of social contract: individuals come together to form a community
because they arent self-sufficient. People become involved with various other people to fulfill various
needs, and we have lots of needs, so we gather lots of people together ... And then we call this living
together a community” (p.59).
Can you think of any other reason why communities form, asks S? This seems to be a rhetorical question,
but maybe we can think of other reasons. For example, maybe people naturally feel kinship and affection
for their families?
S introduces a principle of specialization:
i. Different people are inherently suitable for different activities, ii. People will do their work
better when they specialize in only one job. (p.60)
The state S imagines is very simple. It provides for peoples needs, but there are few luxuries. Glaucon
calls it a community of pigs.
S concedes that luxuries can be introduced, but he describes this as a change from a healthy” community
to one that is bloated and distended” (p.64)one that will require more doctors.
This seems to be meant both literally and metaphorically. The more luxurious state that G wants will
require real doctors, but also doctors whose skills tend to metaphorical illnesses. Maybe the Guardian
class that S describes are doctors in this sense: theyre needed to manage the social illness of greed,
which leads to symptoms like war and conflict.
S thinks the second city is unhealthy because it is organized to serve the desire for luxury, for more than
the bare necessities provided by the first city. This is strange, since the ideal city that S will describe later
in the book, the city ruled by Guardians, is in fact a development of this second city. So its as if S thinks
that the ideal city = the best kind of diseased city you can have.
In studying the growth of this second city, well be studying how morality and immorality take root in
communities (p.64). What kind of ideal is this, then? What is going on?
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
PHL 101 February 2-8, 2011 What is the nature of morality as opposed to immorality? Only knowing that can we figure out whether morality really is better. Socrates proposes that we turn our attention from morality in the individual to morality within a society there morality will appear on a larger scale and it may be easier to perceive it. (We may wonder, of course, whether this key analogy between individuals and communities is a good one.) * * * S begins by imagining a kind of social contract: individuals come together to form a community because they arent self-sufficient. People become involved with various other people to fulfill various needs, and we have lots of needs, so we gather lots of people together ... And then we call this living together a community (p.59). Can you think of any other reason why communities form, asks S? This seems to be a rhetorical question, but maybe we can think of other reasons. For example, maybe people naturally feel kinship and affection for their families? S introduces a principle of specialization: i. Different people are inherently suitable for different activities, ii. People will do their work better when they specialize in only one job. (p.60) * * * The state S imagine
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit