PHL 333 Lecture 9: PHL333 lecture 9

34 views3 pages
PHL333
Lecture 9
Format of test
- Given little passages from test- choose 3 out of 6- cannot choose 2 from same author-
explain passage and use them to talk about bigger context
- Descartes- talk about doubting process- what is Descartes goal overall?- goal is to obtain
absolute certainty- is there anything I can know for sure
- Explain passage and significance
Freud
- In last chapter of our reading- Freud’s focus is superego (voice of conscious)
- Everyone has a superego- part of interest in Freud’s test is in part to discuss his view of
happiness, instinct and the inner judge we have where we judge and punish ourselves,
and hold ourselves back
- We have this force in us that stops us from pursuing what we instinctually desire
- Must be some part of us that can put a stop to our pleasures- Aristotle thought this force
was reason, for Freud this thing that checks our instincts does not come from reason (this
is completely rational, art of problem with superego is it is not fundamentally align with
reality)
- Civilization which we all developed for sake of meeting our goal of happiness as best as
we can also create unhappiness (name of this unhappiness is superego)
- What the superego demands of you are unrealistic, no reason for why demands are tied to
reality
- If I am a child that has desires to get ball that has gone on the street and parents say no
you don’t, I say I want to get the ball, my parents say it is dangerous then I say “oh
yeah”- oppression is parents but if my instinct ruled the day I would be dead- thing that
puts a repressive hand on my instincts is rational, realistic
- Problem with superego is once it develops it is not naturally align with reality, it could be
- Eat cake and feel bad- morally bad- in principle can be realistic if you are really trying to
eat healthy and you betrayed it- feeling bad could be realistic cause can be plugged into
real project
- Can want cake but do not eat it because want to be healthy- putting a check on my desires
and check comes from superego but it is realistic
- Problem is once superego forms, there is nothing that keeps it realistic
- Can begin to develop unrealistic criticisms with self- feel bad with things totally out of
reality
- Superego can go far beyond what is realistic and start to make you feel bad for things
totally out of keeping of reality of your situations- that is what brings patients in Freud’s
office, people who become depressed and get eating disorders
- How can you be happy when you developed a mechanism that leads you to making plans,
instincts would leave you a mess
- Life of instinct alone that’s not disciplined is terrible
- Have to develop mechanisms, but mechanisms we develop are out of keeping of normal
goals of keeping feelings in check
- Unrealistic aspect of superego is source of unhappiness
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Given little passages from test- choose 3 out of 6- cannot choose 2 from same author- explain passage and use them to talk about bigger context. Descartes- talk about doubting process- what is descartes goal overall?- goal is to obtain absolute certainty- is there anything i can know for sure. In last chapter of our reading- freud"s focus is superego (voice of conscious) Everyone has a superego- part of interest in freud"s test is in part to discuss his view of happiness, instinct and the inner judge we have where we judge and punish ourselves, and hold ourselves back. We have this force in us that stops us from pursuing what we instinctually desire. Civilization which we all developed for sake of meeting our goal of happiness as best as we can also create unhappiness (name of this unhappiness is superego) What the superego demands of you are unrealistic, no reason for why demands are tied to reality.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers