Premium

4 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHL 365
Professor
Glenn Parsons

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
November 27th, 2015 Sentimental Art
Readings:
Savile, Sentimentality
Newman, The Alleged Unwholesomeness of Sentimentality
Saville on Sentimentality
“There is always something wrong with it… There are no situations the proper perception
of which demands a sentimental response”
Treating a work of art sentimentally is to treat it poorly
Beliefs that underlie sentimentality
o Cognitive Theory of Emotions
o Beliefs of Sentimentality
o We deliberately adopt false beliefs of the world: “a false color”
Emotion E is sent if and only if E is achieved by a false coloring of the object in order to
satisfy a desire for something other than truth
An other aim so we reject the truth to satisfy a desire
What other desires?
1. Desire for a more pleasant feeling (get rid of our negative emotions about world to feel
happy and content. Give a false coloring).
For example, a doctor. Patients are a bit resentful and the doctor is sad and angry
because of it. So, he could sentimentalize the patients and think that they are grateful.
Self-deception so that you give yourself more pleasant feeling and bearable day
2. Desire for a better self-conception (We like to think of ourselves in a positive way.
Sentimentality is a way to get a good self-esteem. Give ourselves a false coloring)
For example, Soldiers sentimentalize army life so that they don’t think they are in an
organization to kill people. It’s a band of heroic, self-sacrificing, brothers who are
serving their country. They feel better about themselves and their life
A twist: this is kind of sentimentality is present in anger, fear, and jealousy (doesn’t
have to be a positive emotion).
For example, a person sentimentalizes a political party. Idealizes the green party.
They are all good people who do everything right. This person enables themselves to
feel this way. It’s a manufactured emotion to boost your ego and self-esteem. When
people criticize the green party, they get angry and the emotion of anger is
sentimentalized to make them feel better
3. Desire for reassurance (want to see the world as better than it is)
Saville: “file down the rough edges of the world” with sentimentality
The sad reality of the world: poor people, drugs, crime
Or you could read A Christmas Carol and note the world to be filled with good people
while living in poverty
Sentimentality takes the edge off of poverty in A Christmas Carol
The Bitter Philosopher?
Cannot understand Aristotles’ journals

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
November 27 , 2015 – Sentimental Art Readings:  Savile, Sentimentality  Newman, The Alleged Unwholesomeness of Sentimentality Saville on Sentimentality  “There is always something wrong with it… There are no situations the proper perception of which demands a sentimental response”  Treating a work of art sentimentally is to treat it poorly  Beliefs that underlie sentimentality o Cognitive Theory of Emotions o Beliefs of Sentimentality o We deliberately adopt false beliefs of the world: “a false color”  Emotion E is sent if and only if E is achieved by a false coloring of the object in order to satisfy a desire for something other than truth  An other aim – so we reject the truth to satisfy a desire What other desires? 1. Desire for a more pleasant feeling (get rid of our negative emotions about world to feel happy and content. Give a false coloring).  For example, a doctor. Patients are a bit resentful and the doctor is sad and angry because of it. So, he could sentimentalize the patients and think that they are grateful. Self-deception so that you give yourself more pleasant feeling and bearable day 2. Desire for a better self-conception (We like to think of ourselves in a positive way. Sentimentality is a way to get a good self-esteem. Give ourselves a false coloring)  For example, Soldiers sentimentalize army life so that they don’t think they are in an organization to kill people. It’s a band of heroic, self-sacrificing, brothers who are serving their country. They feel better about themselves and their life  A twist: this is kind of sentimentality is present in anger, fear, and jealousy (doesn’t have to be a positive emotion).  For example, a person sentimentalizes a political party. Idealizes the green party. They are all good people who do everything right. This person enables themselves to feel this way. It’s a manufactured emotion to boost your ego and self-esteem. When people criticize the green party, they get angry and the emotion of anger is sentimentalized to make them feel better 3. Desire for reassurance (want to see the world as better than it is)  Saville: “file down the rough edges of the world” with sentimentality  The sad reality of the world: poor people, drugs, crime  Or you could read A Christmas Carol and note the world to be filled with good people while living in poverty  Sentimentality takes the edge off of poverty in A Christmas Carol The Bitter Philosopher?  Cannot understand Aristotles’ journals  Do not want to face inadequacies  Says Aristotle is an idiot and does not want to make sense of his jibberish  Gives it a false color of thought to accept a desire that is not truth to make himself feel better  Saville says this isn’t sentimentality, it’s different  Sentimentality idealizes things (rose colored glasses)  So… Emotion E is sentimental if and only if E is achieved by a false idealization of the object in thought in order to satisfy a desire for pleasant feeling, reassurance, or a better self-conception So what is the problem with Sentimentality?  Sentimental emotions o Not genuine – are phony, manufactured o Egotistical (all about the sentimental person for their own desires and self- conception) o Allows us to avoid self-improvement (we don’t try to be a good person, we can look at a work of art and feel like a good person) o Allows us to avoid our responsibilities (don’t see the world as it really is) Descriptive Concepts  Do not entail that the object is good or bad  “six feet long,” “square,” “silver color” Evaluative Concepts  Entails that the object is good or bad  “skillful,” “graceful,” – praising it  “sloppy” – still evaluative  Sentimentality is evaluative – something bad and it is flawed Dover Breach by Matthew Arnold (1867)  Poem  Not sentimental like A Christmas Carol  Presents atheist view of the world  Unsentimental on the surface – Saville’s account shows  Sentimental because: o “The Sea of Faith… naked sea of the world” o As the tide goes out, Christian faith is “going out” or raining – seems unsentimental o “Ah, love, let us be true… clash by night” o Just you and and me – we have to make our own way in this cold, hostile world o Nature is devoid of meaning and the
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit