Module 1 & 2a.docx

3 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHL 606
Professor
Christopher Gore

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
CPHL606 Module 1 & 2 P a g e | 1
MODULE 1
Philosophical tradition began in ancient Greece  6th century BCE  group of thinkers =
“Presocratics”
“Philosophia” = ancient Greek word = means “lover of wisdom”
Socrates = ancient philosopher = ethics and what constitutes good or correct action… He didn’t
leave anything in writing  so, we understand his thoughts through his greatest student, PLATO
Symposium is too long and hard to read… Just know that many people take turns speaking,
order is:
Phaedrus, Pausanias, Euryximachus, Aristophanes, Agathon, Socrates (about what
DIotima says), Alcibades…
It is a friendly contents, where everyone try’s to give the best speech. Each speech takes what
the previous speech has and adds on to it
MODULE 2
Socrates speaks after Agathon (and all the other speakers)
Socrates begins with “Socratic Dialogue” (also known as dialectic or elenchus) which is
basically “posing a series of questions designed to draw out a working definition of love
(or the subject)”
“Socratic Irony” = starting off looking like the least knowledgeable. Questioning other
speakers to “enlighten” him with their wisdom. By the end of his speech, it is clear he is
the most knowledgeable on the subject…
1. Love is relational: It has an object that it is direct at
oOther speakers defined love as “something” (beauty, tenderness, harmony)
Love is NOT something. We HAVE love for something / of something…
2. Love CAN’T BE beautiful or good because love DESIRES beauty and good (what it
doesn’t possess)
oYou CANNOT desire what you already have…. (explains above point)
oTherefore, Love desires beauty and good because it isn’t beautiful or good…
Socrates explains that he asked Diotima of Mantineia (wisdom prophetess) about this…
oDiotima explains that love is NOT beautiful/good, and is NOT ugly/evil…
oLove represents something in between…

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CPHL606 Module 12Page1MODULE 1thPhilosophical tradition began in ancient Greece6 century BCEgroup of thinkersPresocraticsPhilosophiaancient Greek wordmeans lover of wisdomSocratesancient philosopherethics and what constitutes good or correct action He didnt leave anything in writingso we understand his thoughts through his greatest student PLATOSymposium is too long and hard to read Just know that many people take turns speaking order isPhaedrus Pausanias Euryximachus Aristophanes Agathon Socrates about what DIotima says AlcibadesIt is a friendly contents where everyone trys to give the best speech Each speech takes what the previous speech has and adds on to itMODULE 2Socrates speaks after Agathon and all the other speakersSocrates begins with Socratic Dialogue also known as dialectic or elenchus which is basically posing a series of quest
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit