Politics and Public Administration
Course
POL 128
Professor
Joseph Zboralski
Semester
Fall

Description
Democracy 1) Direct -switz practiced since 13**s -america in early states also practiced this type of democracy -they would gather at town hall and debate/discuss/vote on decisions for the community -forms: referendum – when the ppl of a country, city, province are asked a question by the government and on the basis of answers, the government are obliged to do as the ppl say (i.e. 1980/1995 in quebec when the ppl were asked if they want to separate from the rest of Canada) ~i.e. people of Toronto and area were asked if theyd like to have one big city of Toronto instead of suburbs but the citizens weren’t asked directly yet polls should many opposed initiatives – the people go out and collect names on petitions. After reaching the required number of signatures then the government must take it into consideration during the next election/meeting (i.e. citizens of California made the tax rate decrease but the downfall was the cut of things such as libraries) ~gives the people power even if what they want isn’t necessarily the right thing recall – (not used in Canada) i.e. if you select the wrong representative for your state, the citizens can petition to remove the governor from office and have him/her replaced by another 2) Representative – newer form; first came into being approx. in
More Less

Related notes for POL 128

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit