• approx. 10,000-12,000 companies involved in ﬁlm making today
• cultural products account for the most sales in US
• industry is dominated by Warner Brothers, Paramount, Columbia, 20th Century Fox,
Universal, and Disney.
• each studio makes about 10-15 major ﬁlms a year, and about a dozen minor
• average ﬁlm today costs $120 million
• Blair Witch Project ($35,000 budget) made indie ﬁlms popular
Breakdown of studios:
• Warner Brothers: aka Time Warner, was bought by AOL at one point, but has since
separated and is now owned just by Time Magazine. $28.7 billion/year
• Paramount : owned by Viacom. $15 billion/year
• Columbia: owned by Sony. $8 billion/year
• 20th Century Fox: owned by News Corp (Rupert Murdoch). $33.7 billion/year
• NBC/Universal: owned mostly by Comcast (used to be owned by General Electric).