PSY 302 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Language Acquisition Device, Noam Chomsky, Language Processing In The Brain

52 views7 pages

Document Summary

What is language: communication system, productive language: creating language, i. e. speaking, writing, gestures, receptive language: understanding language, i. e. listening, reading. Symbolic system: auditory symbols: the sounds used in language, written symbols: writing represents words used, arbitrary, using the same conventions, rule-governed system, rules that guide the usage of language, i. e. grammatical rules. Language = behavior: behavior is learned/developed through operant conditioning, positive and negative reinforcement and punishment, consequently, language is learned/developed through operant conditioning. Interactionist theory: biologically predisposed to learn language, areas of the brain dedicated to language, social interactions are necessary for the proper development of those areas. Prelinguistic communication: babbling, universal, regardless of culture or language, occurs in sign language, repetition of sounds, progression from simple to complex, 2-3 months: vowel sounds, 5 months: consonant sounds. The process of language acquisition: early word recognition: word recognition, word comprehension, word production, therefore, the amount that a child can understand is more than the amount they can produce.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers