Lili Ma (25)
Lecture 10

PSY 302 - Lecture 10.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
PSY 302
Lili Ma

Tuesday, November 26 , 2013 Moral Development, Continued Antisocial Behaviour: - The nature of antisocial behaviours o There are various kinds of antisocial behaviour  Physical vs. Relational (i.e., Spreading rumours) aggression  Instrumental vs. Reactive behaviours • i.e., Pushing a child away to get a toy vs. hitting a child for revenge  Direct harm to people vs. harm to property or rule violations o Aggression: Behaviour performed with the intention of harming a living being who is motivated to avoid this treatment  InstrumentalAggression: Harm is a means to an end  HostileAggression: Goal is to harm the victim o Proactive vs. ReactiveAggressors: PROACTIVE AGGRESSORS REACTIVEAGGRESSORS - Use aggression to solve - Hostile, retaliatory problems aggression - Believe that the aggression - Suspicious of others will ‘pay off’ - Others deserve harsh - Instrumental strategy treatment - Biased perception of the victims - Believe that they kids they dominate deserve to be dominated o ReactiveAggressors:  Display a hostile attribution bias  Tend to interpret ambiguous situations as intentionally hostile • i.e., If someone accidentally bumps into him/her, s/he believes that individual did so aggressively and reacts accordingly  Greater aggressive retaliation  Hostile counterattacks and rejection by peers  Aggressive child’s expectancies regarding peers’ hostile intent is fueled  Experience situational inferences of hostile intent  Adults who are reactive aggressors were almost always the same way as a child o Sex differences in aggression:  Physical and verbal aggression are more common in boys than in girls • Why? o Social roles and expectations o Cultural expectations o Evolutionary significance o Higher adult tolerance o Toys and themes of play geared towards boys advocate for a more physical and verbal form of aggression o Hormones o Parenting  Relational aggression is more common in girls • Increases in adolescence - Development of aggression o Even young babies at 9 or 10 months of age can engage in aggressive behaviours, called quasi-aggressive behaviours o Emerges fully at around 18 months: o Unfocused temper tantrums are a physical retaliation occurring between 2 to 3 years of age o With the growth of language skills, verbal aggression increases  i.e., “You’re so bad!” or “You’re mean!” o In the preschool years:  Instrumental aggression is their key form of aggressive behaviour  Preschool children also sometimes use relational aggression • Especially girls o Physical aggression declines during the preschool and elementary school years, while verbal and relational aggression increase  This is due to the development of their abilities to resolve their conflicts and control their emotions o In adolescence, the frequency of overt aggression decreases for most teenagers, although serious acts of violence increase markedly  At age 17, about 29% of male teenagers and 12% of female teenagers self-reported to committing at least one serious violent offence (i.e., Hitting another, causing damage to property, etc.)  In a longitudinal study, children rated as highly aggressive by their peers at 8 years of age were rated similarly at 30 years of age, for both males and females • Stability from child- to adulthood o Classical inconsistency:  On the other hand, in markedly higher rates of antisocial behaviour in adolescence: • Most of them have no history of aggression or antisocial behaviour before the age of 11 • They typically stop engaging in antisocial behaviour later in adolescence or in adulthood  Only 5% of those who conduct problems go on to have antisocial personality disorder - Influences of aggression o Factors present at or before birth:  Genetics (i.e., Twin studies)
More Less

Related notes for PSY 302

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.