Lecture 1

16 Pages

Department
Quantitative Methods
Course Code
QMS 102
Professor
Clare Chua

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 16 pages of the document.
QMS 102
BUSINESS STATISTICS I
Dr. Chua
Course Outline
The course outline may be
download from the Blackboard.
Communication
Please DO NOT leave any phone message.
Email is the best form of communication.
Please use email address: [email protected]yerson.ca
Emails send to my personal account will not receive a reply.
Because of high volume of emails received each day, you
would expect at least 3 days of waiting time.
It is requestedthat emails should be sent to the professor
It
is
requested
that
emails
should
be
sent
to
the
professor
only if the question(s) being asked cannot wait to be
answered in the next scheduled lecture.
Every effort will be made to response to all emails.
However, due to the high volume of emails received each
day, your response may be posted on the Blackboard under
the heading “Announcements. Students are advised to
check the class announcements, prior to sending an email
to the professor.
What are required for QMS102?
1. Required textbook
If you are registered in Business Management, you buy this text
book:
Business Statistics, A Two-Semester Text for Business
Management, Seventh Custom Edition for Ryerson University,
Compiled by Darryl Smith and Clare Chua
Prentice Hall, 2010 ISBN: 9780132567688
If
y
ou arenot re
g
istered in Business Mana
g
ement
(
for exam
p
le
y
gg(
p,
retail management, ITM, etc), you buy this text book:
Business Statistics, A One-Semester Text for Hospitality and
Tourism Management, information Technology Management,
and Retail Management-Fifth Custom Edition for Ryerson
University, Compiled by Darryl Smith and Clare Chua
Prentice Hall, 2010 ISBN 10: 0132567687
2. Calculator
CASIO FX-9750G plus or FX9750GII
(SHARP EL-9600c or TI-83)
NOTE: The new edition of the text has
been revised. If you wish to buy the
older edition of the text, you are fully
responsible for all the changes made in
responsible
for
all
the
changes
made
in
the new edition. The professor will
assign problems from the new edition
of the text. You are responsible to
match up the assigned problems from
the new edition with the old edition of
the text.
Where to get the lecture
materials?
www.notesolution.com
Where to get the lecture materials?
Blackboard ---- https://my.ryerson.ca
--
Blackboard
Course Content
Chapter Topic
1Introduction & Data Collection
2Presenting Data in Tables & Charts
NilDitiM
N
umer
i
ca
l
D
escr
i
p
ti
on
M
easures
4Basic Probability
5Discrete Probability Distributions
6The normal Distribution
7Sampling Distributions
8Statistical Application in Quality & Productivity
Management
EVALUATION:
The grade for this course is composed of
the mark received for each of the
following components:
ComponentPercent/
Weight Date
Number of Cribsheet
allowed
Quiz #1 10% Week 4
ONE (lettersize, both
sided handwritten/or
sided
handwritten
/or
typewritten) cribsheet
Test 25% Week 8
ONE
Quiz #2 10% Week 11
ONE
11 Online Homework 5% Every Week
Final Exam 50% TBA THREE
TOTAL 100%
Topics to be tested in…
QUIZ 1 Chapters1 and 2: Type of data,
Measurement Scales, Stem and Leaf
Plot, Frequency/Relative/Percentage
Distribution and OGIVE
TEST Topics tested in quiz 1, and
Chapter 3
QUIZ 2 DiscreteProbability Distribution,
Binomial Probability, Poisson
Probability, Normal and Inverse
Normal Probability
EXAM Comprehensiveincluding topics CLT
(sampling Dist),Control Charts.
FORMAT OF THE TEST: All the quizzes, test and exam
will be in Multiple Choice format.
ONLINE HOMEWORK
I will post the website link by
Monday. Please check your
Blackboard announcement
regularly
www.notesolution.com
ONLINE HOMEWORK
Login site
Be sure to check the eHomeworkInformation.
After you have “Logged in” you
will see this screen ……
[Check Marks] is only for eHW marks to report problems that are clearly of a
technical nature such as “ the eHW soln
and my answer were the same but I didn’t
get the mark”.
Initially students can save or Premark their answers.
The pre-Mark can only be used once and is only
available until 24 hour before the due date/time.
Students can save as often as they want until the due
date/time.
When pre-mark is click this page
appears with the current mark.
Students can still change answers as
often as they want until the due date/time.
After pre-marking or within 24 hours of the
due date/time only the save button is available.
When pre-mark is click this page appears.
Students must print this page to confirm they have submitted answers.
After the due date/time students will no longer be able to save or Premark.
After you have marked and released a section, students will see the questions, their
answers, the solution, the evaluation and if necessary some feedback.
Lecture 1
Topics covered in lecture 1:
1. Identifying types of data
2. Measurement Scale
3. Stem and Leaf Plot
WHAT IS STATISTICS?
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Course Outline QMS 102 BUSINESS STATISTICS I Dr. Chua The course outline may be download from the Blackboard. Communication Please DO NOT leave any phone message. What are required for QMS102? Email is the best form of communication. 1. Required textbook If you are registered in Business Management, you buy this text Please use email address: [email protected] book: Emails send to my personal account will not receive a reply. Business Statistics, A Two-Semester Text for Business Management, Seventh Custom Edition for Ryerson University, Because of high volume of emails received each day, you Compiled by Darryl Smith and Clare Chua would expect at least 3 days of waiting time. Prentice Hall,ISBN: 9780132567688 IIs equeesed hattemais shoud be sento theprofessorr If yyou argistered in Busingement ((fople,,mp only if the question(s) being asked cannot wait to be retail management, ITM, etc), you buy this text book: answered in the next scheduled lecture. Business Statistics, A One-Semester Text for Hospitality and Tourism Management, information Technology Management, Every effort will be made to response to all emails. University, Compiled by Darryl Smith and Clare Chuarson However, due to the high volume of emails received each Prentice Hall,ISBN 10: 0132567687 day, your response may be posted on the Blackboard under 2. Calculator the heading Announcements. Students are advised to CASIO FX-9750G plus orII check the class announcements, prior to sending an email (SHARP EL-9600c or TI-83) to the professor. NOTE: The new edition of the text has been revised. If you wish to buy the Where to get the lecture older edition of the text, you are fully resspoonssible forralllthe cchaanggess maadde inn materials? the new edition. The professor will assign problems from the new edition of the text. You are responsible to match up the assigned problems from the new edition with the old edition of the text. 1 www.notesolution.com Where to get the lecture materials? Blackboard Blackboard ---- https://my.ryerson.ca -- EVALUATION: Course Content The grade for this course is composed of the mark received for each of the Chapter Topic following components: Compon ent Perc ent / Da te Number of Cribsheet 1 Introduction & Data Collection Weight allowed 2 Presenting Data in Tables & Charts Quiz #1 10% Week 4 ONE (letter size, both sdedhandwrrin orreen 3 NumeriicaDescriiptMeasures typewritten) cribsheet 4 Basic Probability Test 25% Week 8 ONE 5 Discrete Probability Distributions Quiz #2 10% Week 11 ONE 6 The normal Distribution 11 Online Homework 5% Every Week 7 Sampling Distributions Final Exam 50% TBA THR EE 8 Statistical Application in Quality & Productivity TO TAL 100% Management Topics to be tested in Chapters 1 and 2: Type of data, Measurement Scales, Stem and Leaf QUIZ 1 Plot, Frequency/Relative/Percentage Distribution and OGIVE Topics tested in quiz 1, and Chapter 3 ONLINE HOMEWORK TEST Discrete Probability Distribution, Binomial Probability, Poisson QUIZ 2 Probability, Normal and Inverse I will post the website link by Normal Probability Monday. Please check your Comprehensive including topics CLT EXAM (sampling Dist), Control Charts. Blackboard announcement regularly FORMAT OF THE TEST: All the quizzes, test and exam will be in Multiple Choice format. 2 www.notesolution.com ONLINE HOMEWORK After you have Logged in you Login site will see this screen [Check Marks] is only for eHWtechnical nature such as the eHW solna Be sure to check the eHomework Information. and my answer were the same but I didnt get the mark. Initially students can save or Premark their answers. The pre-Mark can only be used once and is only Students can save as often as they want until the due date/time. Students must print this page to confirm they have submitted answers. When pre-mark is click this page appears with the current mark. Students can still change answers as often as they want until the due date/time. After the due date/time students will no longer be able to save or Premark. After pre-marking or within 24 hours of the due date/time only the save button is available. After you have marked and released a section, students will see the questions, their answers, the solution, the evaluation and if necessary some feedback. Lecture 1 Topics covered in lecture 1: WHAT IS STATISTICS? 1. Identifying types of data 2. Measurement Scale 3. Stem and Leaf Plot 3 www.notesolution.com What is Statistics? Statistics can be . Statistics is the science of collecting, Descriptive Statistics _ collecting and describing the data organizing, presenting, analyzing, and - Collect Data e.g interpreting data to assist in making QMS102 - Present Data e.g. Tables a< Chapter 2> - Characterize effecttve deecisionns. Inferential Statistics Transform is the process of using sample results to draw DATA INFORMATION QMS202 conclusion about the characteristics of a population. Estimation is used to estimate population parameters Enables us to estimate unknown population characteristics such as a population mean or a population proportion http://www.statscan.ca Hypothesis Testing DESCRIPTIVE STATISTICS Graphical presentation.. Descrip
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit