RTA 310 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Reddit, Arthur Conan Doyle, Max Sandvoss

94 views8 pages

Document Summary

Fandom and audiences: where fandom, appropriation, representation, subversion, remix copyright, and storytelling converge! https://prezi. com/v5i9mvofctp-/fandom-and-audiences/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy. Fans are being represented on screen, scripted/non-scripted, diversity in fans, understanding of what it means to be a fan has changed. 3 theories help us better understand the relationship between audience and text: hypodermic needle theory. A(cid:271)so(cid:396)(cid:271)i(cid:374)g i(cid:374)fo(cid:396)(cid:373)atio(cid:374), the (cid:449)a(cid:455) (cid:449)e(cid:859)(cid:396)e supposed to a(cid:271)so(cid:396)(cid:271) it: uses and gratification model, reception theory (nb: has its own 3 parts) The consumption of texts has a direct influence on the audience. Normally considered to have a negative impact. The audience is considered passive, powerless against influence. Originated in the frankfurt school (adorno and benjamin et al) Felt the media acted to restrict audiences, to control them. Controversial experiment- acted as evidence that children copy violent behaviour. Children watch an adult violently attack doll. Led to a room with attractive toys they are not allowed to touch. Led to another room with the bobo doll.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers