Sociology
Course
SOC 102
Professor
Ron Babin
Semester
Fall

Description
Chapter 13: Personality Disorders  Personality disorder (PDs): a heterogeneous group of disorders that are coded on axis II of the DSM. They are regarded as long-standing, pervasive and inflexible patterns of behaviour and inner experience that deviate from the expectation of a person’s culture and that impair social and occupational functioning (some but not all cause emotional distress)  An actual personality disorder is defined by extremes of several traits and by the inflexible way these traits are expressed  They are often rigid in their behaviour and cannot change it in response to changes in the situation they experience  Individuals would not be diagnosed as having personality disorders unless the patterns of behaviour were long-standing, pervasive and dysfunctional  Often co-morbid with axis I disorders Classifying Personality Disorders: Clusters, Categories and Problems  The reliability of personality disorder diagnoses have improved because of 2 developments o The publication of specific diagnostic criteria o The development of structured interviews specially designed for assessing personality disorders  Test-rests reliability is also an important factor for evaluation  It is often difficult to diagnose a single, specific personality disorder because many disordered people exhibit a wide range of traits that make several diagnoses applicable  Personality disorders can be construed as the extremes of characteristics we all possess  (Livesley, Schoroeder, Jackson and Jang) personality disorder is a failure or inability to come up with adaptive solutions to life tasks... o To form stable, integrated and coherent representation of self and others o To develop the capacity for intimacy and positive affiliations with other people o To function adaptively in society by engaging in prosocial and cooperative behaviours Assessing Personality disorders C h a p t e r 1 3 : P e r s o n a l i t y D i s o r d ePage 1  Many disorders are ego-syntonic, that is the person with a personality disorder is unaware that a problem exists and may not experience significant distress  The disorders may need to be diagnosed via clinical interview led by trained professionals  Although clinical interviews are preferable, researchers often rely on self-report measures when assessing personality disorder symptoms Narcissistic Personality Disorder  Have grandiose vie
More Less

Related notes for SOC 102

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit