Sociology
Course
SOC 111
Professor
Jean Golden
Semester
Fall

Description
SOC 111 – The Social World 1 November 10, 2011 Capitalism Mode of Production – Capitalism - How we produce and exchange the necessities of life - How we reproduce the species Capitalism - Market economy - things are produced for exchange in the market place - not for personal use (natural vs. exchange economy) Emergence of Commodity Production Commodity: product manufactured for sale in themarket 2 Characteristics of a Commodity: 1. Use value: meets a need - Some are fads  i.e., pet rock 2. Exchange value: price/$ How is Exchange Value Determined? 1. The amount of labour time required to produce a commodity 2. Under normal conditions of production in a given society 3. With the average degree of skill 4. The intensity of labour Labour Power as a Commodity Labour power: - Our mental and physical capacity to work - Workers legally free to sell labour power in marketplace 1 SOC 111 – The Social World 1 November 10, 2011 - Must sell labour power to survive Use Value: helps the capitalist to make $ Exchange Value: wages How is exchange value of labour determined? - Cost of means of survival of the worker - Cost of means of survival of worker’s family - Cost of satisfying social and cultural needs - Cost of workers training = Cost of labour power to produce labour power and the commodities need by family = WAGE But… Price and wage can be affected by: 1. Supply and demand (i.e., Call of Duty: Black Ops) 2. Market conditions (i.e., business cycle) 3. Advertising/Branding (i.e., Air Jordan) 4. Social Conditions: e.g. gender, race, age, ability MODE OF PRODUCTION ↙ ↘ Forces of Production Relations of Production
More Less

Related notes for SOC 111

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit