Sociology (2,216)
SOC 202 (376)

lecture 2

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
SOC 202
Graeme Metcalf

Csoc202 lecture 2 Culture:DEFINITON A- shared system of beliefs, values and behaviour. All this is used to negotiate throughout the social world. These are passed down through generations(become traditional) – social logical definition DEFINITION B- cultural studies definition: defined by Ray Williams(centre for contemporal cultural studies CCS Britain 60s) a) An experience of a “group of people” b) An intellectual work that produces meaning(something that is important) What is the difficulty/problem with ray William’s finding? : can be practicing it through mentally in my one’s mind but not actually work. Polysemy: a cultural text(tv, film, media, newspapers ads) is able to attain multiple meaning example would be don cherry talking about hockey: talking about what is happening in the game. And on the other side he’s pro Canadian and anti European-propaganda. Socialization: things within the social world has multiple meanings. Characteristics of culture: 1. Learned: learned by passed through family/generations 2. Routed/participated as a form of communication: vocal, symbols, physical and signs(gesture) – all arbitrary in terms of meaning attached. 3. Shared 4. 1 + 2+ 3 = sums up culture. One is lost in translation then its not defined as a culture. Popular culture 1. Folk culture: is an identifiable community or group is traditional, historical primarily relies on face to face i.e. communication. “old fashioned” ex. Amish people. Non employment of technology. 2. High culture: “elite” first emerged during the western philosophy(plato, arisstotale) Historically recognized as being valuable. Valuable(Classics: art(mono lisa), literature(Shakespeare, jane eyre), music(opera, classical, jazz)) a) Civilization b) Progress c) Academic: philosophical thought 3. Mass culture: a device that produces a particular brand of culture through i.e. fax machine, internet. Quantity over quality. Mainstream – dominant culture: the final product is waterdowned to participate in dominant culture hc: excludes mc: includes 4. Popular culture: empty, w/o conviction, meaningless, disposable, doesn’t take a lot of labour. i.e. one finishes of work and go home and chill. High != Low. Blurring of boundaries. High and low c
More Less

Related notes for SOC 202

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.