Csoc202 lecture 2
Culture:DEFINITON A- shared system of beliefs, values and behaviour. All this is used to negotiate
throughout the social world. These are passed down through generations(become traditional) – social
DEFINITION B- cultural studies definition: defined by Ray Williams(centre for contemporal cultural
studies CCS Britain 60s)
a) An experience of a “group of people”
b) An intellectual work that produces meaning(something that is important)
What is the difficulty/problem with ray William’s finding? : can be practicing it through mentally in my
one’s mind but not actually work.
Polysemy: a cultural text(tv, film, media, newspapers ads) is able to attain multiple meaning example
would be don cherry talking about hockey: talking about what is happening in the game. And on the other
side he’s pro Canadian and anti European-propaganda.
Socialization: things within the social world has multiple meanings.
Characteristics of culture:
1. Learned: learned by passed through family/generations
2. Routed/participated as a form of communication: vocal, symbols, physical and signs(gesture) – all
arbitrary in terms of meaning attached.
4. 1 + 2+ 3 = sums up culture. One is lost in translation then its not defined as a culture.
1. Folk culture: is an identifiable community or group is traditional, historical primarily relies on
face to face i.e. communication. “old fashioned” ex. Amish people. Non employment of
2. High culture: “elite” first emerged during the western philosophy(plato, arisstotale) Historically
recognized as being valuable. Valuable(Classics: art(mono lisa), literature(Shakespeare, jane
eyre), music(opera, classical, jazz))
c) Academic: philosophical thought
www.notesolution.com 3. Mass culture: a device that produces a particular brand of culture through i.e. fax machine,
internet. Quantity over quality. Mainstream – dominant culture: the final product is waterdowned
to participate in dominant culture
hc: excludes mc: includes
4. Popular culture: empty, w/o conviction, meaningless, disposable, doesn’t take a lot of labour. i.e.
one finishes of work and go home and chill. High != Low. Blurring of boundaries. High and low