SOC 808 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: World Trade Organization, International Monetary Fund, Chocolate

216 views7 pages

Document Summary

Only 10% of global trade if food and agricultural products. Only 25% of world food production is traded on international markets. 3 eras of trade: modern colonialism (1600s to 1940s) -> the start of slavery; as the european populations started to grow, we started to see more factories; they tried to get raw produce from other countries. Thus began the use of fertilizers, pesticides, etc. We thought that to get developing countries out of poverty, they had to produce food the same way we do in north america (i. e. mass production) World trade organization (wto: wto is criticized because some say it"s bad for individual governments (reduces their controls) E. g. cannot discriminate against any companies -> as the government of canada, i can"t favour the canadian company over the chinese company. International monetary fund (imf) and world bank: structural adjustment programs (saps, gives long-term loans to developing countries; problematic because interest is high and with strings attached (i. e. saps)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers