HRM 855 - Week 2 Lecture Notes 23 May 2013
criminal cases are beyond a reasonable doubt
Case Study - Sobesky Outcome - suspended
1. was it his first offense? Yes
2. Company policy of zero tolerance can prove by #6
3. What was the progressive discipline of process?
4. Length of service: 32 years
5. Was it planned? No
6. Were there any other similar cases?
7. Was he trained in the policy?
8. How long or when was the training?
9. Was it documented?
10. Was he aware of the punishment for breaking this rule?
11. Was he apologetic? Yes
12. His agemiddle-aged or maybe close to retirement
13. Chance of funding a comparable job maybe, not
14. Did the punishment fit the crime?
15. Chance of rehabilitation
In a non-union environment, you can
Arbitration - a third party decision for dismissal
Common Law -
There is no set "x" number of service. There use to be a limit of 2 years. Rule of
thumb shud be 4 wks per year service
Legislator in Ontario sits at Queen's Park (at the end of University Ave)
Statue sets the minimum - 1 week
We still you common laws that date back 200 to 300 yrs ago.
Constitutional law - "notwithstanding" clause (valid for only 5 yrs)
Happens every 5 yrs in Quebec - Bill 101
Feudal System Think about Robin Hood