PSY603 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Sigmund Freud, Internal Control, Delayed Gratification

42 views3 pages
Department
Course
PSY603 Consumer Behavior
LECTURE 6
Personality and lifestyles
My personality can easily be seen in the products that I buy
Individual differences variables- descriptions of how individuals consumers differ
according to specific trait patterns of behaviour
- Marketing- interested in identifying consumer characteristics that are associated with
likelihood of purchasing products
Personality and CB
Totality of thoughts, emotions, intentions, behaviours that a person exhibits consistently as they
adapt to their environment
- Cognitive thoughts
- Affective emotions
- Motivational intentions
- Behavioural behaviours
1. Personality is unique-
Distinguish consumers from one another based on amount of characteristics that each
exhibit. Consumers differ in personalities, may be shared across individuals
2. Personality as a combination of specific traits-
Overall personality is a combination of many stable characteristics
3. Personality traits are relatively stable and interact with situations to influence
behaviour-
Traits expected to remain consistent. Combined influence of situations +traits =
influencing specific behaviours (interaction between person and situation)
Think of this as assuming/ predicting how someone would react in a stressful situation.
Some people handle these types of situations calmly, while others may be easy to
anger.
4. Specific behaviour can vary across time-
Issue with personality research knowing a consumer possesses a specific trait does not
allow others to predict a specific behaviour. This means that often times a research
study will only focus on one moment in time, rather than a combination of moments over
a long period. Aggregation approach- measurement of specific behaviour occurs over
time rather than relying on a single measure of behaviour
Psychoanalytic approach to personality
Sigmund Freud- Austrian psychologist-father of psychoanalysis
Beyond the pleasure principle (1920) and the ego and the ID (1923)
Theory argues that human behaviour is result of interactions from three components in
the mind. The id, ego and super ego
Focus on unconscious psychological conflicts
- Balance what each desired- determined behaviour and approach to the world
- Biological aggressive/ pleasure seeking drives vs socialized internal control
ID- I want it now
EGO- I need to do a bit of planning to get it
SUPER EGO- You cannot have it. It is not right
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Personality and lifestyles: my personality can easily be seen in the products that i buy. Individual differences variables- descriptions of how individuals consumers differ according to specific trait patterns of behaviour. Marketing- interested in identifying consumer characteristics that are associated with likelihood of purchasing products. Totality of thoughts, emotions, intentions, behaviours that a person exhibits consistently as they adapt to their environment. Distinguish consumers from one another based on amount of characteristics that each exhibit. Consumers differ in personalities, may be shared across individuals: personality as a combination of specific traits- Overall personality is a combination of many stable characteristics: personality traits are relatively stable and interact with situations to influence behaviour- Combined influence of situations +traits = influencing specific behaviours (interaction between person and situation) Think of this as assuming/ predicting how someone would react in a stressful situation.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers