BUS 272 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Job Satisfaction, Whistleblower, Ingratiation

55 views4 pages

Document Summary

Power: a (cid:272)apa(cid:272)ity that a has to i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)(cid:272)e the (cid:271)eha(cid:448)io(cid:396) of b, so that b a(cid:272)ts i(cid:374) a(cid:272)(cid:272)o(cid:396)da(cid:374)(cid:272)e (cid:449)ith a"s (cid:449)ishes. This defi(cid:374)itio(cid:374) i(cid:373)plies there is a potential for power if someone is dependent on another. But one can have power and not impose it. Depe(cid:374)de(cid:374)(cid:272)y: b"s (cid:396)elationship to a when a possesses something that b requires. Dependence, in turn, is based on the alternatives that b perceives and the importance that b places on the alternatives that a controls. A person can have power over you only if he or she controls something you desire. Coercive power: dependent on the fear of the negative results that might occur if one fails to comply. It rests on the application, or the threat of the application, of physical sanctions such as the infliction of pain, the generation of frustration through restriction of movement, or the controlling by force of basic physiological or safety needs.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers