Communication Success - Reference Guides

6 Pages
Department
Business Administration
Course Code
BUS 343
Professor
All

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Communication Success 2 Communication Success 3 permacharts TM THE FIVE “W”s cont. FIVE FAST STEPS TO IMPACTFUL & PERSUASIVE COMMUNICATION cont. WHO? m You are there to provide everything the audience • But if you are not expressing Examples of gentle hints to get your audience to listen: • In preparation for your presentation keep referring needs to understand and react well to your points. excitement about your idea, how •“Now that you have heard my introduction to COMMUNICATION can you expect others to get excited yourself back to who your audience is and where WHERE AND WHEN? this idea, listen carefully to the benefits” they are “at”, specifically why they are there and •The context of where this communication is to take about it? So now, move your • “As you listen to me talk you can hear how useful what they may be looking to take away from this gestures up to your chest level and these principles are” SUCCESS THE FUNDAMENTALS event. Remember there are undoubtedly more of place has an impact on how it is received. you will be in my “Passion–Plane”. • Great communicators reference the place and time This gets you and everyone around •“I know you’ve heard a lot today and now, please them than there are of you. Addressing what they pay close attention to how it works for you” Human communication reduced to its simplest form consists of a need from this communication is of utmost w ithin which the message is delivered. This creates you energised and enthused. source transmitting a message to a receiver with the function of importance and will result in getting their a sense of togetherness with the audience. KNOWLEDGE & FEELING t is not enough just to have a great achieving a goal. These are the fundamental components within LOOK I message; that message must be deliv- undivided attention. Make it easy for them, even if W HAT? “I’ll believe it when I see it!” How many However smart you think you are you will never be this system: it’s harder on you! more intelligent than all your audience put ered with total effectiveness so as to • For an audience to get your message you must • The simple relationship between what you and times have you heard this phrase and yet still you your audience want from this communication feel that your audience will get the message only together. A skilled communicator gathers and gain a clear advantage over your com- build your relationship / rapport with them. should lead you to what you have to say. by your telling them, and not showing them? You reflects knowledge from an audience, adding their petitors. What your listeners think of Inteni n Informi n TransmissiRecepiton PerceptoinMeaning m Tell them who you are. Remind them who own take on it, attitude and spin to it. That is the • Next you must address the question of “how?” now know that people make the vast percentage your ideas, your products, and your they are! People love stories; in fact, we’ll often listen to the of any decision about your communication on what value of great communicators: they help us Feedback m Help them understand how you are dullest of information when presented in they see. So, a really excellent presenter asks the understand us. And learning the truth about how entire organization, is affected by how related to each other. Even if it is audience to look at the we are can, in turn, give us a strong they react to you as a speaker. The busi- simply that you are in the a story format. Vice-versa we can be feeling. So when we buy into a disinterested by earth shattering complete picture before ness community votes public speaking same room at the same news if not structured in an helping them to communication, we buy into the Optimizing the effective use of these components optimizes the time – make a link entertaining and coherent understand any feeling it has given us — like as their number one fear and only one effectiveness of your communication. But the most important with them. everything we buy into, the feeling we in five of all business communicators is component is intention; therefore, manner. thoughts about it all. When you speak have a goal m You are solely responsible for • Can we see it? Generally most Creating a strong image get is the real bottom line benefit. viewed by their audience as acceptable. informing them of your message. They for the audience is key. • “This will save you money” feels good. are not there to work at understanding communication is non-verbal and a good So look at it this way; Study the principles, techniques and you. picture can speak volumes. Not only can • “That will cause a real problem” models found in this Permachart to THE FIVE “W”s you represent your message through right from the moment feels bad. m You must convey the communication in a visual aids but through the visual impact we are born we are visual ensure success in your next presentation. Having clearly motivated objectives in speaking to your audience, technical language that all present understand. beings and you need to • “Looks good on you!” feels confident. an understanding of the context for your communication, Never treat a presentation as a quiz. If the of your body. The audience needs to see what you are saying, not just hear show us to convince us. POSITIVE ACTION straightforward, entertainingly structured linguistic content in audience has to guess at what you mean, they it. Don’t just tell them your story • Use pictures and real objects to show your point Do you find you give clear instructions but the job clearly narrative form and visual representations supporting your will not be able to act positively on 5 ‘W’ S message and objectives, can all be summarized by the following your message. –show them physically. • When you are showing something, tell us to look still doesn’t get done right? Are you sure you’re • Describe with words a clear picture of what you giving these instructions in the best way? Here’s Why? Who? Where? checklist: would like us to see or do one: don’t think of an apple right now. You just • Why are you talking – check what your objective is FIVE FAST STEPS TO IMPACTFUL & PERSUASIVE COMMUNICATION saw a picture of an apple in your mind; and so you When? What? • Who are you talking to – check your audience 1. Use the YES–State™ to deliver an open attitude • Simply think a genuine “YES” as you meet LISTEN can now begin to understand how difficult it is to • Where will you deliver – check the implications of your Listen to this: have you ever felt like nobody is follow correctly any instruction NOT to do environment 2. Gesture in the TRUTH–Plane™ to secure trust, and someone and shake their hand, or as you talk to a really hearing you? OK, there’s an easy way to something. In business communication if you say to in the PASSION–Plane™ to build commitment group: notice how the individual or crowd open up • When will you deliver – check the implications of the towards you and your ideas. quickly improve your chances of being heard. You someone “don’t forget to deliver the report” they timeframe within which you will speak 3. Invite people to LOOK at and LISTEN to your story have to ask to be listened to; and the will see themselves forgetting. You say “don’t THE TRUTH-PLANE™ AND THE PASSION-PLANE™ way you do that is to say “listen”. If focus on the negative figures” and they’ll struggle • What will you do – check what will you say and how you will 4. Talk for their benefit, helping them to understand say and show it what they KNOW, and how they now FEEL In business, you know how important it is to really you give others a gentle instruction not to see the minuses. Instead you should ask for 5. Call for positive ACTION trust someone before you deal with them. So here’s to listen to you, you help them positive action: asking for what you want will make The bottom line when speaking: Concentrate on what you want start to hear you better. People you a more effective communicator and will get the way really effective communicators need leadership in how to get the job done right. for your audience rather than what you are going to say. If you THE YES-STATE™ display confidence. know what need you want to fulfill in the audience you will “Yes” is the most powerful word ever, and the “YES- • Place your hands at the level of your message. If you’re going to Examples of using positive action: know instantly what to say. say it, they’ll need to know they State” is a way of being that uses that word to your belly-button. Relax them with have to listen out for it. How • “Remember - deliver the report today;” WHY? create an air of real openness and positivity around the palms up. Now you are • “Look at all these positive numbers.” you. Others instantly feel gesturing in what I call “The carefully are you listening to this • You wish for something to happen: for the people listening to comfortable and unthreatened message now? You’ll have noticed • “After hearing this, most people like to visit our understand and act on what you have said. Truth–Plane”. When we are most that everything that I’ve said to website immediately and get more information” by the atmosphere created sincere our hands naturally you in these last few moments has • You most likely have a desired action for them to perform by the “YES-State”, and gravitate to this position. You may • “I usually contact anyone who now feels that based on what you communicate. they become more open to be anxious, but with your hands helped you hear, and understand communication is important to their work to see my message. And from now on, how I can help them further.” • If you do not know why you are talking (what impact you want your ideas resting in the Truth-Plane you and to be an effective communicator, to have on them) then you will not know what to say. If you do and your audience will instantly feel • “Think now how this information is helping you not know what to say you are unlikely to be effective. directives. confident, and your voice will you too will get others around and think how a further conversation would give you to pay more attention by • Decide what you want from the communication reflect your true sincerity. asking them to listen. you so much more help” www.permacharts.com Content © 2007 Mark Bowden • Format/Design/Layout © 2007-2014 Mindsource Technologies Content © 2007 Mark Bowden • Format/Design/Layout © 2007-2014 Mindsource Technologies Inc. Content © 2007 Mark Bowden • Format/Design/Layout © 2007-2014 Mindsource Technologies Inc. Inc. Communication Success 2 Communication Success 3 permacharts TM THE FIVE “W”s cont. FIVE FAST STEPS TO IMPACTFUL & PERSUASIVE COMMUNICATION cont. WHO? m You are there to provide everything the audience • But if you are not expressing Examples of gentle hints to get your audience to listen: • In preparation for your presentation keep referring needs to understand and react well to your points. excitement about your idea, how •“Now that you have heard my introduction to COMMUNICATION can you expect others to get excited yourself back to who your audience is and where WHERE AND WHEN? this idea, listen carefully to the benefits” they are “at”, specifically why they are there and •The context of where this communication is to take about it? So now, move your • “As you listen to me talk you can hear how useful what they may be looking to take away from this gestures up to your chest level and these principles are” SUCCESS THE FUNDAMENTALS event. Remember there are undoubtedly more of place has an impact on how it is received. you will be in my “Passion–Plane”. • Great communicators reference the place and time This gets you and everyone around •“I know you’ve heard a lot today and now, please them than there are of you. Addressing what they pay close attention to how it works for you” Human communication reduced to its simplest form consists of a need from this communication is of utmost w ithin which the message is delivered. This creates you energised and enthused. source transmitting a message to a receiver with the function of importance and will result in getting their a sense of togetherness with the audience. KNOWLEDGE & FEELING t is not enough just to have a great achieving a goal. These are the fundamental components within LOOK I message; that message must be deliv- undivided attention. Make it easy for them, even if W HAT? “I’ll believe it when I see it!” How many However smart you think you are you will never be this system: it’s harder on you! more intelligent than all your audience put ered with total effectiveness so as to • For an audience to get your message you must • The simple relationship between what you and times have you heard this phrase and yet still you your audience want from this communication feel that your audience will get the message only together. A skilled communicator gathers and gain a clear advantage over your com- build your relationship / rapport with them. should lead you to what you have to say. by your telling them, and not showing them? You reflects knowledge from an audience, adding their petitors. What your listeners think of Inteni n Informi n TransmissiRecepiton PerceptoinMeaning m Tell them who you are. Remind them who own take on it, attitude and spin to it. That is the • Next you must address the question of “how?” now know that people make the vast percentage your ideas, your products, and your they are! People love stories; in fact, we’ll often listen to the of any decision about your communication on what value of great communicators: they help us Feedback m Help them understand how you are dullest of information when presented in they see. So, a really excellent presenter asks the understand us. And learning the truth about how entire organization, is affected by how related to each other. Even if it is audience to look at the we are can, in turn, give us a strong they react to you as a speaker. The busi- simply that you are in the a story format. Vice-versa we can be feeling. So when we buy into a disinterested by earth shattering complete picture before ness community votes public speaking same room at the same news if not structured in an helping them to communication, we buy into the Optimizing the effective use of these components optimizes the time – make a link entertaining and coherent understand any feeling it has given us — like as their number one fear and only one effectiveness of your communication. But the most important with them. everything we buy into, the feeling we in five of all business communicators is component is intention; therefore, manner. thoughts about it all. When you speak have a goal m You are solely responsible for • Can we see it? Generally most Creating a strong image get is the real bottom line benefit. viewed by their audience as acceptable. informing them of your message. They for the audience is key. • “This will save you money” feels good. are not there to work at understanding communication is non-verbal and a good So look at it this way; Study the principles, techniques and you. picture can speak volumes. Not only can • “That will cause a real problem” models found in this Permachart to THE FIVE “W”s you represent your message through right from the moment feels bad. m You must convey the communication in a visual aids but through the visual impact we are born we are visual ensure success in your next presentation. Having clearly motivated objectives in speaking to your audience, technical language that all present understand. beings and you need to • “Looks good on you!” feels confident. an understanding of the context for your communication, Never treat a presentation as a quiz. If the of your body. The audience needs to see what you are saying, not just hear show us to convince us. POSITIVE ACTION straightforward, entertainingly structured linguistic content in audience has to guess at what you mean, they it. Don’t just tell them your story • Use pictures and real objects to show your point Do you find you give clear instructions but the job clearly narrative form and visual representations supporting your will not be able to act positively on 5 ‘W’ S message and objectives, can all be summarized by the following your message. –show them physically. • When you are showing something, tell us to look still doesn’t get done right? Are you sure you’re • Describe with words a clear picture of what you giving these instructions in the best way? Here’s Why? Who? Where? checklist: would like us to see or do one: don’t think of an apple right now. You just • Why are you talking – check what your objective is FIVE FAST STEPS TO IMPACTFUL & PERSUASIVE COMMUNICATION saw a picture of an apple in your mind; and so you When? What? • Who are you talking to – check your audience 1. Use the YES–State™ to deliver an open attitude • Simply think a genuine “YES” as you meet LISTEN can now begin to understand how difficult it is to • Where will you deliver – check the implications of your Listen to this: have you ever felt like nobody is follow correctly any instruction NOT to do environment 2. Gesture in the TRUTH–Plane™ to secure trust, and someone and shake their hand, or as you talk to a really hearing you? OK, there’s an easy way to something. In business communication if you say to in the PASSION–Plane™ to build commitment group: notice how the individual or crowd open up • When will you deliver – check the implications of the towards you and your ideas. quickly improve your chances of being heard. You someone “don’t forget to deliver the report” they timeframe within which you will speak 3. Invite people to LOOK at and LISTEN to your story have to ask to be listened to; and the will see themselves forgetting. You say “don’t THE TRUTH-PLANE™ AND THE PASSION-PLANE™ way you do that is to say “listen”. If focus on the negative figures” and they’ll struggle • What will you do – check what will you say and how you will 4. Talk for their benefit, helping them to understand say and show it what they KNOW, and how they now FEEL In business, you know how important it is to really you give others a gentle instruction not to see the minuses. Instead you should ask for 5. Call for positive ACTION trust someone before you deal with them. So here’s to listen to you, you help them positive action: asking for what you want will make The bottom line when speaking: Concentrate on what you want start to hear you better. People you a more effective communicator and will get the way really effective communicators need leadership in how to get the job done right. for your audience rather than what you are going to say. If you THE YES-STATE™ display confidence. know what need you want to fulfill in the audience you will “Yes” is the most powerful word ever, and the “YES- • Place your hands at the level of your message. If you’re going to Examples of using positive action: know instantly what to say. say it, they’ll need to know they State” is a way of being that uses that word to your belly-button. Relax them with have to listen out for it. How • “Remember - deliver the report today;” WHY? create an air of real openness and positivity around the palms up. Now you are • “Look at all these positive numbers.” you. Others instantly feel gesturing in what I call “The carefully are you listening to this • You wish for something to happen: for the people listening to comfortable and unthreatened message now? You’ll have noticed • “After hearing this, most people like to visit our understand and act on what you have said. Truth–Plane”. When we are most that everything that I’ve said to website immediately and get more information” by the atmosphere created sincere our hands naturally you in these last few moments has • You most likely have a desired action for them to perform by the “YES-State”, and gravitate to this position. You may • “I usually contact anyone who now feels that based on what you communicate. they become more open to be anxious, but with your hands helped you hear, and understand communication is important to their work to see my message. And from now on, how I can help them further.” • If you do not know why you are talking (what impact you want your ideas resting in the Truth-Plane you and to be an effective communicator, to have on them) then you will not know what to say. If you do and your audience will instantly feel • “Think now how this information is helping you not know what to say you are unlikely to be effective. directives. confident, and your voice will you too will get others around and think how a further conversation would give you to pay more attention by • Decide what you want from the communication reflect your true sincerity. asking them to listen. you so much more help” www.permacharts.com Content © 2007 Mark Bowden • Format/Design/Layout © 2007-2014 Mindsource Technologies Content © 2007 Mark Bowden • Format/Design/Layout © 2007-2014 Mindsource Technologies Inc. Content © 2007 Mark Bowden • Format/Design/Layout © 2007-2014 Mindsource Technologies Inc. Inc. Communication Success 2 Communication Success 3 permacharts TM THE FIVE “W”s cont. FIVE FAST STEPS TO IMPACTFUL & PERSUASIVE COMMUNICATION cont. WHO? m You are there to provide everything the audience • But if you are not expressing Examples of gentle hints to get your audience to listen: • In preparation for your presentation keep referring needs to understand and react well to your points. excitement about your idea, how •“Now that you have heard my introduction to COMMUNICATION can you expect others to get excited yourself back to who your audience is and where WHERE AND WHEN? this idea, listen carefully to the benefits” they are “at”, specifically why they are there and •The context of where this communication is to take about it? So now, move your • “As you listen to me talk you can hear how useful what they may be looking to take away from this gestures up to your chest level and these principles are” SUCCESS THE FUNDAMENTALS event. Remember there are undoubtedly more of place has an impact on how it is received. you will be in my “Passion–Plane”. • Great communicators reference the place and time This gets you and everyone around •“I know you’ve heard a lot today and now, please them than there are of you. Addressing what they pay close attention to how it works for you” Human communication reduced to its simplest form consists of a need from this communication is of utmost w ithin which the message is delivered. This creates you energised and enthused. source transmitting a message to a receiver with the function of importance and will result in getting their a sense of togetherness with the audience. KNOWLEDGE & FEELING t is not enough just to have a great achieving a goal. These are the fundamental components within LOOK I message; that message must be deliv- undivided attention. Make it easy for them, even if W HAT? “I’ll believe it when I see it!” How many However smart you think you are you will never be this system: it’s harder on you! more intelligent than all your audience put ered with total effectiveness so as to • For an audience to get your message you must • The simple relationship between what you and times have you heard this phrase and yet still you your audience want from this communication feel that your audience will get the message only together. A skilled communicator gathers and gain a clear advantage over your com- build your relationship / rapport with them. should lead you to what you have to say. by your telling them, and not showing them? You reflects knowledge from an audience, adding their petitors. What your listeners think of Inteni n Informi n TransmissiRecepiton PerceptoinMeaning m Tell them who you are. Remind them who own take on it, attitude and spin to it. That is the • Next you must address the question of “how?” now know that people make the vast percentage your ideas, your products, and your they are! People love stories; in fact, we’ll often listen to the of any decision about your communication on what value of great communicators: they help us Feedback m Help them understand how you are dullest of information when presented in they see. So, a really excellent presenter asks the understand us. And learning the truth about how entire organization, is affected by how related to each other. Even if it is audience to look at the we are can, in turn, give us a strong they react to you as a speaker. The busi- simply that you are in the a story format. Vice-versa we can be feeling. So when we buy into a disinterested by earth shattering complete picture before ness community votes public speaking same room at the same news if not structured in an helping them to communication, we buy into the Optimizing the effective use of these components optimizes the time – make a link entertaining and coherent understand any feeling it has given us — like as their number one fear and only one effectiveness of your communication. But the most important with them. everything we buy into, the feeling we in five of all business communicators is component is intention; therefore, manner. thoughts about it all. When you speak have a goal m You are solely responsible for • Can we see it? Generally most Creating a strong image get is the real bottom line benefit. viewed by their audience as acceptable. informing them of your message. They for the audience is key. • “This will save you money” feels good. are not there to work at understanding communication is non-verbal and a good So look at it this way; Study the principles, techniques and you. picture can speak volumes. Not only can • “That will cause a real problem” models found in this Permachart to THE FIVE “W”s you represent your message through right from the moment feels bad. m You must convey the communication in a visual aids but through the visual impact we are born we are visual ensure success in your next presentation. Having clearly motivated objectives in speaking to your audience, technical language that all present understand. beings and you need to • “Looks good on you!” feels confident. an understanding of the context for your communication, Never treat a presentation as a quiz. If the of your body. The audience needs to see what you are saying, not just hear show us to convince us. POSITIVE ACTION straightforward, entertainingly structured linguistic content in audience has to guess at what you mean, they it. Don’t just tell them your story • Use pictures and real objects to show your point Do you find you give clear instructions but the job clearly narrative form and visual representations supporting your will not be able to act positively on 5 ‘W’ S message and objectives, can all be summarized by the following your message. –show them physically. • When you are showing something, tell us to look still doesn’t get done right? Are you sure you’re • Describe with words a clear picture of what you giving these instructions in the best way? Here’s Why? Who? Where? checklist: would like us to see or do one: don’t think of an apple right now. You just • Why are you talking – check what your objective is FIVE FAST STEPS TO IMPACTFUL & PERSUASIVE COMMUNICATION saw a picture of an apple in your mind; and so you When? What? • Who are you talking to – check your audience 1. Use the YES–State™ to deliver an open attitude • Simply think a genuine “YES” as you meet LISTEN can now begin to understand how difficult it is to • Where will you deliver – check the implications of your Listen to this: have you ever felt like nobody is follow correctly any instruction NOT to do environment 2. Gesture in the TRUTH–Plane™ to secure trust, and someone and shake their hand, or as you talk to a really hearing you? OK, there’s an easy way to something. In business communication if you say to in the PASSION–Plane™ to build commitment group: notice how the individual or crowd open up • When will you deliver – check the implications of the towards you and your ideas. quickly improve your chances of being heard. You someone “don’t forget to deliver the report” they timeframe within which you will speak 3. Invite people to LOOK at and LISTEN to your story have to ask to be listened to; and the will see themselves forgetting. You say “don’t THE TRUTH-PLANE™ AND THE PASSION-PLANE™ way you do that is to say “listen”. If focus on the negative figures” and they’ll struggle • What will you do – check what will you say and how you will 4. Talk for their benefit, helping them to understand say and show it what they KNOW, and how they now FEEL In business, you know how important it is to really you give others a gentle instruction not to see the minuses. Instead you should ask for 5. Call for positive ACTION trust someone before you deal with them. So here’s to listen to you, you help them positive action: asking for what you want will make The bottom line when speaking: Concentrate on what you want start to hear you better. People you a more effective communicator and will get the way really effective communicators need leadership in how to get the job done right. for your audience rather than what you are going to say. If you THE YES-STATE™ display confidence. know what need you want to fulfill in the audience you will “Yes” is the most powerful word ever, and the “YES- • Place your hands at the level of your message. If you’re going to Examples of using positive action: know instantly what to say. say it, they’ll need to know they State” is a way of being that uses that word to your belly-button. Relax them with have to listen out for it. How • “Remember - deliver the report today;” WHY? create an air of real openness and positivity around the palms up. Now you are • “Look at all these positive numbers.” you. Others instantly feel gesturing in what I call “The carefully are you listening to this • You wish for something to happen: for the people listening to comfortable and unthreatened message now? You’ll have noticed • “After hearing this, most people like to visit our understand and act on what you have said. Truth–Plane”. When we are most that everything that I’ve said to website immediately and get more information” by the atmosphere created sincere our hands naturally you in these last few moments has • You most likely have a desired action for them to perform by the “YES-State”, and gravitate to this position. You may • “I usually contact anyone who now feels that based on what you communicate. they become more open to be anxious, but with your hands helped you hear, and understand communication is important to their work to see my message. And from now on, how I can help them further.” • If you do not know why you are talking (what impact you want
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit