By Mark Liangco | BUS 343
Chapter 13 (Week 10)
The Communications Mix:
1) Personal Selling
- A direct contact between a firm’s representative and a customer, involving a range of
o Features two way communication
o Flexible message content
Approaches to Personal Selling:
1) Transactional Marketing – putting on the hard sell.
- Pushy sales person
2) Relationship selling – countering the tarnished image
- Seeking to develop a mutually satisfying relationship with the customer so that they can work together to
satisfy each other’s needs.
A good salesperson can be an inexpensive source of customer information ie, a form of market research.
2) Public Relationships
- Communication strategies to build good relationships with an organization’s stakeholders.
- Goal here is to not make a sale but to establish a good relationship.
o Annual reports, crisis management are part of public relations.
3) Direct Marketing
- Communication method that expects a response from customers
- You directly market to individual consumers. Expecting them to purchase a product from you.
- The Dark Side: Junk Mail, Spam
- The Bright Side: Database Marketing
4) Sales Promotion
- Short-term incentives or programs to encourage the trial, purchase or sale of a product or service.
o Contests, coupons, and rebates
o Information seminars, product demonstrations, special events
o Specialty advertising
o Loyalty programs
- This is where the 4Ps come in!.
- Non-personal, paid communication from an id