3 Pages

Department
Communication
Course Code
CMNS 110
Professor
Jean Herbert
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Week 3
Language and Culture
Language Evolution and Acquisition (CAPS)
- language origins
- language acquisition
- "magical" words
- two theories of language origins
- Charles Hockett's Design Features of Language
Augustine. Confessions (397 AD)
"Magical words"
- politeness: "Please" and "thank you"
- expletives (cursing, swearing)
- hate speech (illegal in Canada and other jurisdictions)
- euphemisms (for death, excrement, etc)
Two Theories of Origins:
- The Call of Nature Hypothesis: out of the inarticulate calls, cries and grunts of our Hominid
ancestors, speech gradually emerged; this echoes Augustine's intuitions, but now (18 Century)
language is thought of as socially created (not divinely bestowed upon each individual)
- The Gestural Origins Hypothesis: gestures arose first, and uttered language came later; infants
use their limbs to reinforce inarticulate cries; ancient hominids may have needed to coordinate
hunts with visible gestures; in the 18-19 century the "call of the nature" hypothesis was the
leading one
Hockett's Design Features of Language
- difference between a communication system vs. an actual language (animal vs. human
communication)
PRIMARY ORALITY:
- Walter Ong
- Marshall McLuhan: literacy introduces linear thinking and linear rationality; electronic culture
retrieves orality/aurality; think about how the medium itself orders thought (example: how do we
think about cities?)
Polychronic and Monochronic Time
- Monochronic (M) time: linear, scheduled, quantified (saved or spent or wasted), task orientated
(roughly-business/gendered as male)
- Polychronic (P) time: non-linear, unscheduled, unquantified, people-orientated (roughly-
family/gendered as female in the West)
- the linear character of the post-alphabet/literate era is directly related to the increased schedule-
obsessed, task-orientation of modern Capitalism...with attendent effects on the gendered division

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Week 3 Language and Culture Language Evolution andAcquisition (CAPS) - language origins - language acquisition - "magical" words - two theories of language origins - Charles Hockett's Design Features of Language Augustine. Confessions (397 AD) "Magical words" - politeness: "Please" and "thank you" - expletives (cursing, swearing) - hate speech (illegal in Canada and other jurisdictions) - euphemisms (for death, excrement, etc) Two Theories of Origins: - The Call of Nature Hypothesis: out of the inarticulate calls, cries and grunts of our Hominid ancestors, speech gradually emerged; this echoes Augustine's intuitions, but now (18 Century) language is thought of as socially created (not divinely bestowed upon each individual) - The Gestural Origins Hypothesis: gestures arose first, and uttered language came later; infants use their limbs to reinforce inarticulate cries; ancient hominids may have needed to coordinate hunts with visible gestures; in the 18-19 century the "call of the nature" hypothesis was the leading one Hockett's Design Features of Language - difference between a communication system vs. an actual language (animal vs. human communication) PRIMARY ORALITY: - Walter Ong - Marshall McLuhan: literacy introduces linear thinking and linear rationality; electronic culture retrieves orality/aurality; think about how the medium itself orders thought (example: how do we think about cities?) Polychronic and Monochronic Time - Monochronic (M) time: linear, scheduled, quantified (saved or spent or wasted), task orientated (roughly-business/gendered as male) - Polychronic (P) time: non-linear, unscheduled, unquantified, people-orientated (roughly- family/gendered as female in the West) - the linear character of the post-alphabet/literate era is directly related to the increased schedule- obsessed, task-orientation of modern Capitalism...with attendent effects on the gendered division of labour, spatial organization of cities by urban planners, the organization of TV schedules and programs, etc Imagining Primary Orality: "Imagine writing a treatise on horses...all the points of difference..." (Walter Ong, Orality and p
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit