Duality of patterning
- The property that meaningful units such as morphemes are made up
of meaningless units such as phonemes, which can be recombined
over and over again to make different words.
- Relationship between the sounds/spelling of a word and its meaning
is not predictable.
- Recombine morphemes, words and sentences to convey a potentially
infinite number of thoughts. Sentences within sentences. Ability to
make a new sentences and for everyone to be able to understand.
- Embedding of pieces of a sentence (or whole) inside other pieces or
Can you explain verbal behaviour through explanations of learning?
What’s the capacity of language?
Words and rules
- Language: set of symbol and principles for the combination of these
signs, which allow for communication and comprehension.
- Mental lexicon: set of all words a person knows.
- Grammar: rules for combining units at each language level – sounds,
words, and sentences.
Design features of language
- Semanticity: fact that parts of language refer to aspects of reality.
- Arbitrariness: represent but are not like that to which they refer.
- Displacement: communication of ideas/things remote in time and
- Prevarication: potential for deception use of language.
- Reflectiveness: thinking and communicating about language.
- Productivity: hearers understand new unique info.