COGS 100 (67)

COGS 100 Week 7 Lec 2

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Simon Fraser University
Cognitive Science
COGS 100
Radoslava Trnavac

COGS 100 Week 7 Lecture 2 Language of Thoughts con't Importance of physical symbol system hypothesis: What is: •Intelligent behaviour <=> PSS •Main characteristic: are physical, can be represented in world, expressed outside of ourselves •Have both physical and abstract aspect - the meaning assigned to those symbols •Symbolic patterns stand for physical structures •Patterns are manipulated by algorithms - results in different patterns •Relates to problem solving: move from initial state to goal state; particular algorithms solve certain problems •Universal can read any PSS (true ones)? •Problem: Chinese Room Experiment - does it truly UNDERSTAND symbols? Knows syntax, not semantics. •Symbol grounding problem - how meaning is assigned to symbol Lang of thought - Fodor: •Resemble formal, logical languages •Use to think, perform operations •All hear same thing, all hear "Cat" but hear it in a different way (polymorphism) •Beliefs and desires, fears, hopes are physical symbols, objects, patterns, cause us to behave in a certain way •Ex: I am thirsty. That is a physical symbol. Changed to a desire to drink. Causes me to go get a glass of water. •Cause reactions •Propositional attitudes (these things) have shape •Syntax as a form - how get from that to meaning? How is it mapped? How does meaning result in action? •Lang of thought functions just like a Turning machine or any other PSS •Symbols, processed represented by symbols, carried out on symbols •Operate exclusively algorithmically - cares about semantics, but also does not •Rules expressed symbolically •Logical terms I don't remember and syllogism! •True conclusion if conclusion is output of premise: if p -> q, p, q •That is validity - is the form. Are formal steps to follow from instructions. •Semantics -> about truth of argument. Argument can be valid but not true. •Language of thought needs to follow these principles. •Operations must respect rules of syntax, but also rules of meaning •If p, q you have p^q •Existential quantifiers •Get transformed by certain rules, rules must obey
More Less

Related notes for COGS 100

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.