CMNS 221 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Frankfurt School, Commodity Fetishism, Max Horkheimer

77 views4 pages

Document Summary

Relationship to the space and social communication. Urban life is entirely based on social communication. Suburban life: difference in canada, usa, and internationally. Critical, political, social thought and from right winged mass culture is problematic: seen as problematic from both left and right winged. Frankfurt school: adorno and horkheimer saw and understood the culture industries, mass culture = mass deception, think of williams. Domination of western culture: do(cid:374)"t (cid:374)eed to establish power only need to engineer marketing places. Culture was a way to dominate and understand the world. Think of independent campaigns: do(cid:374)"t do (cid:449)ell a(cid:374)d usually do (cid:374)ot get elected. We have needs and we also have social needs: creative independent, autonomous, control for our own destiny, meaningful democratic collective, these (cid:374)eeds (cid:272)a(cid:374)"t (cid:271)e fulfilled i(cid:374) high (cid:272)o(cid:374)su(cid:373)eris(cid:373) i(cid:374) (cid:373)oder(cid:374) (cid:272)apitalis(cid:373) i(cid:374) its false needs. We do(cid:374)"t (cid:374)eed a(cid:374)y of the shit (cid:449)e (cid:449)a(cid:374)t. Materials giving you an identity or for status. Shapes mass culture by molding their consciousness.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers