CRIM 321 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Thick Description, Philosophy Of Science

55 views2 pages

Document Summary

Lecture 1: introduction to qualitative r esearch + the nature of qualitative rese arch. The types of cri(cid:373)es that are per(cid:272)ei(cid:448)ed as (cid:862)(cid:272)ool(cid:863) Ho(cid:449) is (cid:858)(cid:272)ool(cid:859) deter(cid:373)i(cid:374)ed (cid:271)y (cid:272)ri(cid:373)i(cid:374)als (defi(cid:374)i(cid:374)g the key terms) Questions the how, why, and what of phenomena. Meaning behind the number of quantitative research. Examines perceptions, motivations, and experiences that are significant to people. Examines how this meaning becomes embedded in objects, events, lives etc. Quantitative: generalizes/confirms a hypothesis using statistical data. Qualitative: explores and discovers subjectivities by examining words, texts, and images. Qualitative and quantitative exist on a continuum. Both are valuable and used in social, behavioral, psychological, business, and medical research (choice depends on the goals of research) Positivist: social world is patterned as to its causes and effects. Interpretive: social world is constantly constructed (in flux) Qualitati(cid:448)e resear(cid:272)hers seek to u(cid:374)dersta(cid:374)d a(cid:272)tors(cid:859) perspe(cid:272)ti(cid:448)es. Critical: social world is constructed through power discourse. Qualitative researchers seek to understand, unveil, and critique power dynamic.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers