Notes for Chapter 10.doc

6 Pages

Department
Economics
Course Code
ECON 103
Professor
Vera Lantinova

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Fraser International College
ECON1034 “Principles of Microeconomics”
Chapter 10: Organizing Production
THE KEY CONCEPTS in this chapter:
- The difference between accounting profit and economic profit.
- The difference between technological and economic efficiency.
- Types of markets.
- Measures of market concentration.
A firm is an institution that hires factors of production and organizes those factors to
produce and sell goods and services.
The economic problem of the firm is to
Allocate the scarce resources.
The firm is constrained by:
- Technology
- Information
- Market
Profit is the difference between the firm’s revenues and costs:
=TR-TC
=TR (PxQ)-TC (FC+VC)
Depending on what costs are considered, profit could be:
-Accounting profit: considers direct costs of production and depreciation (fall) of the
value of firm’s capital
-Economic profit: considers opportunity cost of production
Econmic Profit = Accountung Profit –Implict Cost.
Opportunity cost of production is the highest-valued alternative forgone.
The firm incurs opportunity cost with all of its resources used in production:
-Resources bought in the market
Suppose a firm spend 200 million on production of goods so the opportunity cost of
production is 200 million which they have spend on production of that good.
-Owned by the firm (physical capital, financial funds)
In the way that when firm use capital to produce goods it is forgoing its use which can be
implemented on other good thus the thing left is the opportunity cost.
-Supplied by the firm’s owner (labor, entrepreneurship)
Enterpenuerdhip and Owners Labour Service which he can earn if he do job in other
palce.
To maximize economic profit, a firm must decide:
1. What to produce and in what quantities
2. How to produce
3. How to organize and compensate workers
4. How to market and price its products
5. What to produce itself and what to buy from others

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Fraser International College ECON1034 “Principles of Microeconomics” Chapter 10: Organizing Production THE KEY CONCEPTS in this chapter: - The difference between accounting profit and economic profit. - The difference between technological and economic efficiency. - Types of markets. - Measures of market concentration. A firm is an institution that hires factors of production and organizes those factors to produce and sell goods and services. The economic problem of the firm is to Allocate the scarce resources. The firm is constrained by: - Technology - Information - Market Profit is the difference between the firm’s revenues and costs: =TR-TC =TR (PxQ)-TC (FC+VC) 1 Depending on what costs are considered, profit could be: - Accounting profit: considers direct costs of production and depreciation (fall) of the value of firm’s capital - Economic profit: considers opportunity cost of production Econmic Profit = Accountung Profit –Implict Cost. Opportunity cost of production is the highest-valued alternative forgone. The firm incurs opportunity cost with all of its resources used in production: - Resources bought in the market Suppose a firm spend 200 million on production of goods so the opportunity cost of production is 200 million which they have spend on production of that good. - Owned by the firm (physical capital, financial funds) In the way that when firm use capital to produce goods it is forgoing its use which can be implemented on other good thus the thing left is the opportunity cost. - Supplied by the firm’s owner (labor, entrepreneurship) Enterpenuerdhip and Owners Labour Service which he can earn if he do job in other palce. To maximize economic profit, a firm must decide: 1. What to produce and in what quantities 2. How to produce 3. How to organize and compensate workers 4. How to market and price its products 5. What to produce itself and what to buy from others 2 In the above decisions, the firm is constrained by: 1. Technology 2. Information and organization 3. Market Technological constraints Technological and economic efficiency: Technological efficiency is when the firm produces a given output by using the least amount of inputs. Economic efficiency is when the firm produces a given output at the least cost. A technologically inefficient method is always economically inefficient as well All Econmic efficnt methds or also technologically efficnt. . Economic efficiency depends on prices of inputs and relative costs of inputs. Information and organization constraints Firms could organize production a
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit