Education
Course
EDUC 323
Professor
Alex Abdel- Malek
Semester
Spring

Description
Educ 323- Lecture 1 (January 19 2011) • Virginia Satir- revolutionized psychiatry and challenged, family therapy (best known), relationality, attachment, connection oriented o Positive, strengths oriented training • Counselling seen as less in depth, psychotherapy restructuring and deals with more severe concerns o Lack of protection over using term “counsellor” or “therapist” • Q: Purpose of psychotherapy? my defn: to help people return to or achieve a functional and adaptive mental state and to teach them the tools to help maintain that state o A: Get past the external stuff to the core of the problem, help ppl get “unstuck”, rehabilitation (help get thru transition periods), teaching clients to deal with stressors • Good therapist is intentional in everything they do, need to have clients relate to you (but is it appropriate to share?) o Reason and intention for all things said, moving toward something o Accommodate your behaviour • Pay attn to multiple channels in session (3)- o 1-What’s happening with this person? (Behaviourally, presentation, their issues, history, etc....) o 2-What is going on with me? My reactions to this person, what am i drawn to, what judgments/conclusions and based on what  How am I doing? Reminders o 3-what is happening b/w me and this person (rlnshp) and ways in which we relate  How do our personalities interact, am I feeling the need to jump in, they talking more? • What is MY theoretical orientation? How do I see the world and interpret other ppl b/c it colors how we see the world o Still, there is no one right way. Can’t have a narrow approach o What clients will remember after period of helpful therapy, less likely to say “thanks for help in the past, there was this ONE specific turning point and approach”  More likely- don’t know what happened, but I feel better. I always felt comfortable talking to you so thank you. • Clients less likely to experience actual techniques, most powerful therapeutic agent rlnshp not the techniques/clinical orientation. Need help/support • Never let technique become bigger than rlnshp  Theory critical b/c helps us take complex stuff and put it in working order o Be careful with telling them what to do/giving help (power over them, rather we want to empower them instead)  Most psychotherapy not advice, select feedback maybe Psychoanalytic and Psychodynamic theory: • Freud (pioneer so yes nowadays he’ll sound a little silly)- think what it was like back then, attitudes influencing his interpretation o Freudian psychoanalysis- constantly evolving his theories and hypotheses (and admitting it! Self questioning and responding to criticism) o Freud’s initial theories have changed, gone in dif directions, built upon (despite ppl criticizing him so much) o Clients lay down, now seated face to face, Freud not actually facing client (his chair at 90 degree angle- many reasons for why)  Perhaps b/c he hated them so much didn’t want his facial expressions influencing clients  For client to free associate and just talk, no face seen, just talk to the air (disembodied voice?)  Freud w/cancer of jaw so in much pain (coke to medicate)- client’s seeing me in pain and influences them so he moved • No idea which is actually true, writing in German too • Translation, sex might have actually been love. So maybe not as radical as we think? • Freudian/classical psychoanalysis (not many ppl do this anymore tho) o Started out as psychoanalysis, but not all ppl agreed so had split off parts w/agreeing w/some aspects but not others o Psychodynamic- early experiences still important, constructs to explain emotion/connection w/others o Ego psychology (Anna Freud) then Object relations then Self psychology (more recently)  Ego psych and Object rlns still draw from psychodynamic tho differences, also most commonly used now o Topographic model= shows dif levels and gradients/physical details  3 levels of awareness-
More Less

Related notes for EDUC 323

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit