ENGL 103W Lecture Notes - Lecture 21: Euripides
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
• "There’s something very persuasive about a gift. They’re more persuasive than words.”
• Are gifts more persuasive than words to Medea? How is she persuasive?
o How she persuades other people
o Look at instances of her being persuasive
• 10 MC questions that “won’t be difficult"
• Identify this passage followed by a passage you need to identify
o You will get 4 of them
o Know playwright and play
o Please Identify the speaker
o 3 points available for saying what the passage is about
• Has always puzzled people
• Some people despise him
• Nietzsche is one of the best commentators on art
o Birth of tragedy is his most famous book
o In this book he can’t stand Euripides
o He thinks he is too concerned with “ordinary humans"
• There is some grandeur about society
o Euripides makes us feel “low and dirty"
• Tarantino movies are similar
o When you leave you are left wanting more
• Jason was out looking for the Golden Fleece
• Medea used her magic to help him find it
• She betrayed her father and then ran away to elope with Jason
• She murdered her brother
• She took revenge very well with multiple dismemberments
• They end up in corinth - one of the greatest Greek city states and they are married and
have a family
• Jason abandons her and abandons the children in order to marry the daughter of the king
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version