ENGL 103W Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Know Thyself, Tyrant, Hubris
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
• In one sense what happened to Oedipus is fate in some sense
• Clash of right vs right
• The only way you can overcome family in state is to make them identical
o You love the state as much as you love the state
• There were at least 6 Oedipus plays
o This one done in 425 BC and won second prize
▪ Disappointing as this was one of the finest dramas written
o These plays were submitted in threes - we don’t know what his other two plays
• These plays are about the problems of life
o Does life have meaning?
What if a good life is predicated on ignorance?
• Delphic oracle
o One injunction
▪ “Know thyself"
▪ Know what lies behind you, what shaped you
▪ Freud says you must know your past and you must know your
o Oedipus gets to know himself
o Did 2 of the worst things you can ever do
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version