GSWS 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Leslie Feinberg, Gender Identity, Laverne Cox

97 views2 pages
GSWS 100
Gender Attribution
- People think that you should just know their gender
- If you take gede attiutio, it’s usually i egad to lothig, ody stutue
Gender Role
- Fo a satiial hilde’s ook y akig oys ad gil’s play a particular role.
- Childe’s ooks hae ee hagig, gede oles hae eoled oe tie
- How we contribute the appropriate roles
- Gender identity: personal, its what we feel we are. How they feel between their ears
- Recognize that: assignment, attribution, role and identity are in relation to the particular
person.
- Leslie Feinberg: comparing gender to weather
o If we only have words like male or female or hot or cold to define gender or
weather. It still conveys something but hot in Vancouver is very different from
hot in Singapore.
o You have to make your vocabulary wider b/c theirs various aspects to it
o Approach gender the same way we would approach weather.
- Gender Diversity: if we accept gender diversity then we have to revaluate what is
gender identity
o Recognizing gender diversity also reveals the limits of binary sexual identity as a
framework for understanding desire and attraction.
- A shape you a’t uite idetify ad hae o ods fo
Cisnormative Gaze
- Cis = on the same side
- Trans = across traverse on the other side
- Terminology
- First person to coin it Sereno, shes usually the terms to reflect what is happening
- To be trans is having all of those components lined up in the other side
- Its there to distinguish what is what
- If people hae ee sho to you i a patiula ay, e do’t see a diffeee
History of trans representations in the media
- As spectacle: trans in the media are always seen as the victim or killer or dead
o They dehumanize these people
o Mainstream represent is fictional
- Unseeing the cosnormative gaze / you’e ee eouteed the, you ill alays
have this misconceptions.
- TALKING BACK: Laverne Cox on the Katie Couric Show (was very rude, asked very rude
questions but Laverne shut it down. And she came back and Katie apologized)
- Eeyoe’s gede is ofusig
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

People think that you should just know their gender. If you take ge(cid:374)de(cid:396) att(cid:396)i(cid:271)utio(cid:374), it"s usually i(cid:374) (cid:396)ega(cid:396)d to (cid:272)lothi(cid:374)g, (cid:271)ody st(cid:396)u(cid:272)tu(cid:396)e. F(cid:396)o(cid:373) a sati(cid:396)i(cid:272)al (cid:272)hild(cid:396)e(cid:374)"s (cid:271)ook (cid:271)y (cid:373)aki(cid:374)g (cid:271)oys a(cid:374)d gi(cid:396)l"s play a particular role. Child(cid:396)e(cid:374)"s (cid:271)ooks ha(cid:448)e (cid:271)ee(cid:374) (cid:272)ha(cid:374)gi(cid:374)g, ge(cid:374)de(cid:396) (cid:396)oles ha(cid:448)e e(cid:448)ol(cid:448)ed o(cid:448)e(cid:396) ti(cid:373)e. Gender identity: personal, its what we feel we are. Recognize that: assignment, attribution, role and identity are in relation to the particular person. If we only have words like male or female or hot or cold to define gender or weather. It still conveys something but hot in vancouver is very different from hot in singapore: you have to make your vocabulary wider b/c theirs various aspects to it, approach gender the same way we would approach weather. Gender diversity: if we accept gender diversity then we have to revaluate what is gender identity: recognizing gender diversity also reveals the limits of binary sexual identity as a framework for understanding desire and attraction.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers