Health Sciences
Course
HSCI 100
Professor
Nienke Van Houten
Semester
Summer

Description
CHAPTER 19: CELL DIVISION CHROMOSOMES – tightly coiled combination of a DNA molecule that contains genetic info for the organism and specialized proteins called histones - Gene: specific segment of the DNA that directs synthesis of a protein - 1 of 23 = sex chromosomes, 22 others = autosomes (Expression of most ppl inherited characteristics) - Diploid (2n) – 2 copies of each chromosome - Haploid (n) – one copy of each chromosome THE CELL CYCLE 3 basic stages: - Growth - Division o Mitosis – what somatic/germ cells do o Meiosis – only what germ cells do - Homeostasis & repair 1. Interphase - Longest time. Cell carries out function & grows - Before division, time of intense preparation - DNA & organelles duplicated - - G1 stage –growth o Cell grows in size & accumulates materials o Proteins needed for DNA replication are synthesized o Each chromosome has DNA molecule &proteins - S stage – DNA Synthesis (replication) o DNA replication occurs, copy of each chromosome (Sister chromatids) o Chromosome copies remain attached - G2 stage – growth o Proteins needed for division are synthesized (microtubules/centrioles) 2. Cell division (mitosis & cytokinesis) - Mitosis – nuclear division (separation of chromatids) – 2 identical daughter cells o Functions:  Responsible for cell replacement, growth & development  Highly regulated  If regulation fails then defective/uncontrolled mitosis = tumors o One nucleus divides into 2 daughter nuclei containing same # and kinds of chromosomes o 1. PROPHASE – chromosomes condense  Centrosomes duplicated, chromatin condense into chromosomes and nuclear envelope fragments  Nucleolus disappears – duplicated chromosomes visible  Centrosomes begin moving apart & spindle begins forming  In cytoplasm – mitotic spindle forms o 2. METAPHASE – chromosomes line up @ equatorial plate  Ensures that each cell receives chromatid from each 46 chromosomes o 3. ANAPHSE – attachments between sister chromatids break o 4. TELOPHASE – new nuclei form, each 2 with complete sets of chromosomes  Nuclear envelopes & nucleoli reappear - Cytokinesis – cytoplasmic division divides into 2 daughter cells o Begins toward end of mitosis (sometimes during telophase) o Band of microfilaments in the area where the chromosomes align form a furrow where furrow deepens and pinch the cell in two Karyotypes - arrangement of chromosomes based on their physical characteristics (e.g. length/position of centromere) MEIOSIS (ovaries&testes) – 4 non identical daughter cells (half # of chromosomes as parent) Meiosis I – separate homologues - Prophase I – premeiotic interphase o Dna replicates, copies remain attached by centromere o Each copy = chromatid - Metaphase I, Anaphase I, Interkinesis (no replication of DNA)/telophase I/cytokinesis - Chromosome number reduce
More Less

Related notes for HSCI 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit