Hsci 120 - Lecture 1

2 Pages

Department
Health Sciences
Course Code
HSCI 120
Professor
Carolyn Stewart

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
HSCI 120
Lecture 1
September 8, 2010
Chapters 1, 2
Sexual Behaviour
Types of Media
Influence
Cross-Culture
Perspectives
Sexual Health
Sexual Rights
Behaviour that produces arousal and increases the chance of orgasm
Cultivation: Idea that what is see in the mass media represents what is really happening
Agenda-Setting: Idea that media define what is important and what is not by which stories they
cover
Social Learning: Idea that media provide role models which we imitate
Culture: Traditional ideas and values passed down from generation to generation by symbols (such
as language)
Ethnocentrism: To regard one’s own ethnic group and culture as superior as other races and judge
based on own group
Incest: Universal taboo where there is intercourse between blood relatives
Sex does not have to be used solely for intimacy, could be for peacemaking, economic, expression of
aggression, sense of power
A state of physical, emotional, mental and social wellbeing related to sexuality
Basic, inalienable rights of sexuality; Right to reproductive self-determination, sexual self-expression
and freedom from sexual abuse and violence
Evolutionary
Perspectives
Psychological
Theories
Sociobiology: Application of evolutionary biology to understanding the social behaviour of animals
Evolution: A theory that all living things have acquired their present forms through gradual changes
over successful generations
Natural Selection: Those who survive are better adapted to their environment and pass their genes
Sexual Selection: Mate selection that results from differences in traits for mates
depends on 1. Competition amongst other members 2. Preferential choices by other members
Evolutionary Psychology: Study of psychological mechanisms that have been shaped by natural
selection
Kinsey Scale: 0 6, 0 being heterosexual and 6 being homosexual
Libido: Sex drive
Psychoanalytic Theory: Theory by Sigmund Freud which assumes that part of the human
personality is unconscious 3 parts: Id, Ego and Superego
Id: Psychic energy, part of personality and present at birth, operates on pleasure principle
Ego: Reality personality, functions for rational and realistic interactions, keeps Id in line
Superego: Conscious personality, inhibit the Id and make Ego have moral goals
Erogenous Zones: Parts of the body sexually sensitive to touch Children develop through 1. Oral
stage 2. Anal stage 3. Phallic stage
Oedipus Complex: Sexual attraction of a little boy for his mother, hates father at first, but later on
feels castration anxiety and identifies with father resolves the Oedipus complex
Female Oedipus Complex or Electra Complex: Sexual attraction of a little girl for her father,
suffers from penis envy which later she focuses on developing vagina for a baby females not as
developed as male because they cannot resolve their Oedipus complex as males can
Classical Conditioning: Learning process where a conditioned stimulus is paired with an
unconditioned stimulus to evoke an unconditioned response (refer page 33)
Operant Conditioning: Learning process where an action is then followed by a reward or
punishment
Behaviour Modification: Operant conditioning techniques used to modify human behaviour
Self-Efficacy: Sense of competence at performing an activity
Social Exchange Theory: Theory where people will choose actions that maximize rewards and

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
HSCI 120 September 8, 2010 Lecture 1 Chapters 1, 2 Sexual Behaviour  Behaviour that produces arousal and increases the chance of orgasm Types of Media  Cultivation: Idea that what is see in the mass media represents what is really happening Influence  Agenda-Setting: Idea that media define what is important and what is not by which stories they cover  Social Learning: Idea that media provide role models which we imitate Cross-Culture  Culture: Traditional ideas and values passed down from generation to generation by symbols (such Perspectives as language)  Ethnocentrism: To regard one’s own ethnic group and culture as superior as other races and judge based on own group  Incest: Universal taboo where there is intercourse between blood relatives  Sex does not have to be used solely for intimacy, could be for peacemaking, economic, expression of aggression, sense of power Sexual Health  A state of physical, emotional, mental and social wellbeing related to sexuality Sexual Rights  Basic, inalienable rights of sexuality; Right to reproductive self-determination, sexual self-expression and freedom from sexual abuse and violence Evolutionary  Sociobiology: Application of evolutionary biology to understanding the social behaviour of animals Perspectives  Evolution: A theory that all living things have acquired their present forms through gradual changes over successful generations  Natural Selection: Those who survive are better adapted to their environment and pass their genes  Sexual Selection: Mate selection that results from differences in traits for mates – depends on 1. Competition amongst other members 2. Preferential choices by other members  Evolutionary Psychology: Study of psychological mechanisms that have been shaped by natural selection  Kinsey Scale: 0 – 6, 0 being heterosexual and 6 being homosexual Psychological  Libido: Sex drive Theories  Psychoanalytic Theory: Theory by Sigmund Freud which assumes that part of the human personality is unconscious – 3 parts: Id, Ego and Superego  Id: Psychic energy, pa
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit