HSCI 216 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Menopause, Menarche, Organogenesis

35 views3 pages
Lecture 3: The link between genes and environment
-Phenotype: the set of observable characteristics of an individual resulting from the interaction of its
genotype with the environment
Epigenome:
set of heial arks i a idiidual’s geoe that affets i gee epressio. This set of
marks is heritable but can be modified by environmental exposures.
-> Turning on and off in various kinds of cells
(https://www.genome.gov/27532724/epigenomics-fact-sheet/#al-1 )
-Twins: Similar chromosomes (epigenomes) , different epignomes when getting older (exposure to
different environment)
-Potential adaptive advantage: allow for a changes in expression
Life History Theory (LHT)
Postulates that ontogeny has been shaped by natural selection
Overall biological fitness: pass alleles
Overall Biological Fitness= Individual fitness + inclusive fitness
*individual fitness= offspring produced by self
*inclusive fitness= positive? Effect on the fitness of relatives
e.g skills that was taught?
Rb > c
C= reproductive cost to self
B = reproductive benefit to the recipients
r= coefficient of relatedness
- Siblings: 50%
- First cousin: 12.5%
More than one type of fitness
Nepotism
- The practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends
Ho to aiize fitess… Optiizig resoure alloatio throughout the life spa!!
Principle of allocation: resources (energy, time) used for one purpose, cannot be used for others
Where and when to invest energy?
NS expected to favour the evolution of optimal allocation patterns
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Lecture 3: the link between genes and environment. Phenotype: the set of observable characteristics of an individual resulting from the interaction of its genotype with the environment. Epigenome: set of (cid:272)he(cid:373)i(cid:272)al (cid:373)arks i(cid:374) a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s ge(cid:374)o(cid:373)e that affe(cid:272)ts i(cid:374) ge(cid:374)e e(cid:454)pressio(cid:374). > turning on and off in various kinds of cells (https://www. genome. gov/27532724/epigenomics-fact-sheet/#al-1 ) marks is heritable but can be modified by environmental exposures. Twins: similar chromosomes (epigenomes) , different epignomes when getting older (exposure to different environment) Potential adaptive advantage: allow for a changes in expression. Postulates that ontogeny has been shaped by natural selection. B = reproductive benefit to the recipients r= coefficient of relatedness. The practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends. Ho(cid:449) to (cid:373)a(cid:454)i(cid:373)ize fit(cid:374)ess opti(cid:373)izi(cid:374)g resour(cid:272)e allo(cid:272)atio(cid:374) throughout the life spa(cid:374)! Principle of allocation: resources (energy, time) used for one purpose, cannot be used for others. Ns expected to favour the evolution of optimal allocation patterns.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers