Interactive Arts & Tech
Course
IAT 201
Professor
Brian Fisher
Semester
Winter

Description
Week 9 Cognitive Architecture HCI History “Classic” HCI: User/Task/Tool Model -task, Protocol & GOMS/keystroke analysis Command-line, menus, workplace systems Theoretical underpinnings -cognitive science of conscious thought -learning, memory, reasoning -Sequences of operations Basic HCI What if I am doing this for fun? What if I want new insights? What if I want to communicate with someone? What if I am exploring a complex environment? Conceptual knowledge, i.e. what you know and believe to be true, can’t change what you perceive: Seeing is believing (not the other way around) Evolving complex interactive displays WIMP interface: visual semantics -metaphorical tool icons on desktop -direct manipulation Information visualization-information processing in the visual system –multiple screens –visual analogs of information –spatial Instruments –3D interfaces –augmented reality –virtual environments Challenges Perception, cognition, and action in an immersive multimodal environment populated with objects events and actors Applications in entertainment, cognition, communication Blend of virtual and real spaces with seams -are the rules consistent? -can users shift between them? -can frames support rule shifts? Limits of Design Education Design as reflective practice -design critiques, reviews, etc. Design in context of the organization -software (hardware) engineering practices and models -interaction with company: marketing, business strategy etc. Design constrained by usability -HCI guidelines, e.g. “be consistent” Design constrained by science “facts” (note scare quotes) -Spence’s design actions Design as application of science -designer capable of translating from science to design Designer-scientist -designer capable of translating from use to science, collaboration with scientists Opportunities for creative design Environments: Affordances for exploration -spatial cognition, human space constancy theory Support for creative & logical thinking -problem solving, embodied cognition models Media-based communication & collaboration -metacognition, distributed cognition Experience (Kansei) engineering: Moving beyond usability Effective Interface Design for Rich Sensory Environments The interaction between display characteristics and the information processing characteristics of the user’s perceptual, motor, and cognitive processes will largely determine interface performance Weber's Law-the ratio of the increment threshold to the background intensity is a constant. So when you are in a noisy environment you must shout to be heard while a whisper works in a quiet room. And when you measure increment thresholds on various intensity backgrounds, the thresholds increase in proportion to the background. Weber’s Law → Design Action? How much brighter do I need to make this color so my users can tell a difference? How much __________do I need to make this __________s
More Less

Related notes for IAT 201

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit