IS 210 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Comparative Politics, Charismatic Authority, International Studies

41 views4 pages

Document Summary

Political actors/ parties: politicians, political regimes (democracies, monarchies, theocracies, neighbourhoods, social movements, international organizations, interest groups) Politics: as the process by which political actors make collective decisions to manage and share resources (e. g. money, natural resources, knowledge, goods & services, etc. ) Comparative politics: study and comparison of politics and political process across the world. Authority: control: traditional authority (i. e. monarchs, charismatic authority (i. e. north korea, bureaucratic authority (i. e. rules, laws, procedures, western countries) State is key concept (what does it mean?) State is a legal and physical entity with 3 major qualities: state operates within a fixed territory to impose laws within these boundaries, administered by a system of government, legitimacy/social acceptance by citizens. Political regimes: set of rules, procedures and institutions that regulate political decision- making (political representation, and political participation) Freedom, basic rights (4 most basic rights) freedom of speech/expression, religion/ conscious, association, peaceful assembly vs. Ill-liberal: combinations of totalitarian and semi- totalitarian regimes, one party states: nazi,

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers