LING 290 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Shavian Alphabet, Speech Recognition, Merriam-Webster

94 views2 pages

Document Summary

Branches of phonetics: physiological how speech is produced and how the vocal apparatus is used, applicable in speech-language pathology (slp), language teaching b. *need to know the vocal tract anatomy: acoustic study of the sounds and physical properties of speech, applicable in speech synthesis (ie. 3d spectrogram), forensic work, eg. Tts (text-to-speech), asr (automatic speech recognition), etc: auditory perception of speech and how information is transmitted. processed in the brain, applicable in mainly audiology, but also in slp, psychology, language teaching, eg. Impressionistic using ears to listen carefully, analytic skills: we use the ipa because: i. ii. iii. iv. Some languages use different combinations of consonants and vowels to sound different. Some language are not alphabetic (mandarin chinese, etc. : sampa (speech assessment methods phonetic alphabet) Easy to type and works for widely known languages. Lack symbols for esotic languages i. ii: extended ipa i. Used for individuals with speech disorders: dictionary transcription systems.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers