Philosophy
Course
PHIL 105
Professor
Jill Mc Intosh
Semester
Summer

Description
Phil XXI May 23, 2012 Two requirements for an argument to be good (rationally be strong for you): • Its conclusion must follow from its premises • Its premises must be reasonable for you to accept - An argument whose premises, if true, would support its conclusion, is “well formed” - An argument is well-formed only if it is valid or cogent - An argument is valid if its premises are true, its conclusion must be true Ie. My van is parked where I left it or my van has been stolen. My van is not parked where I left it. My van has been stolen. (validity) - An argument is cogent if its premises are true, they provide reason to think the conclusion is true, but they could be true yet the conclusion false Ie. Most students in this room are under 25. The person in the top left seat is a student in this room. That person is under 25. Whether or not an argument is valid is simply a matter of its form! How do we display the form of an argument?: • In some cases, we can use sentential logic Ie. 1. My van is parked where I left it. 2. My van is not parked where I left it. 3. My van has been stolen. P = My van is parked where I left it Q = My van has been stolen 1. P or Q 2. ~ P 3. Q (This is a valid argument pattern. Any argument with this same form would be valid. If its premises were true, its conclusion would also be true. This pattern is “argument by elimination.” The variables must stand for declarative sentences.) Ie. Conjunction 1. P 2. Q 3. P and Q Ie. Simplification 1. P and Q 2. P Ie. Conditional 1. If P, then Q 2. P 3. Q (“If, then” sentence is called a Conditional. If [antecedent], then [consequent]. In a true conditional, if the antecedent is true, so is the consequent. The truth of the antecedent is sufficient for the truth of the consequent. In a true conditional, the
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 105

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit