Suppose you discover that your best friends boyfriend is cheating on her.What if anything,
should you say to your best friend?
• Virtue Ethics (VE): what kind of person should I be in order to lead a flourishing life?
• This will reveal our moral duties
• VE is a normative theory that claims:
1. An action is right iff a virtuous agent would perform that action
2. Avirtuous agent is one who has and acts in accordance with the virtues
3. Avirtue is a character trait an agent must have for eudamonia or the flourishing life
• The major objection:VE gives us no moral guidance because:
‣ 1. Avirtue ethicist formulates rules on the basis of virtue/vice concepts,e.g."be.
Honest" ," don't act unjustly"
• Presupposes agreement
• Reinforces status quo
‣ 2. Two virtue ethicists may come up with different conclusions abou