For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
PHYS 101: Physics for the Life Sciences - Lecture 1: Review of Linear
Kinematics and Dynamics I
x = xf - xi
● Vavg =
x and Vavg only depend on initial and final values i.e. they are path independent
● For a round trip (i.e. xf = xi) the Vavg is the same as the slope of a line that connects the
two points (tf,xf) and (ti,xi).
● V(t) = velocity at some instant of time
● To get instantaneous velocity calculate Vavg the for the two times close the point of
● xi = initial position = x(t)
● xf = final position = x(tf) = x(t +