What to know about the brain
- Basic structures of the neuron and its functions.
- Visual pathways.
- Basic anatomy.
- 100 Billion neurons.
Each has 10*4 synapses.
- 10-20 Billion in cortex
Methods for recording activity of a neuron
- Neurons exist in ion-rich solution, with a higher concentration of K+
inside and a higher concentration of Na+ outside the cell.
- In its resting state, a neuron had negative charge of -70mV relative
to the outside. This changes during neuron firing.
- Tiny gaps between the terminal buttons of one neuron and the
dendrite of the next.
- Cocktail of neurochemicals flow into the synapse from the terminal
- Synaptic cleft: 10-20nm; it may take only 10*15nm for synapse to