Psychology
Course
PSYC 210
Professor
Cathy Mc Farland
Semester
Fall

Description
th September 4 , 2012 1 Branches of Statistical Methods: Descriptive – summarizes or describes the data Inferential – infers a conclusion based on the data Types of Variables: Equal-interval – the difference between two successive categories are the same (assume equal-interval up to Chapter 12)  Temperature measured with Fahrenheit has equal intervals; the difference between temperatures of 30 and 31 degrees is 1 degree, and the difference between 100 and 101 degrees is 1 degree. No matter where on the scale that 1 degree is located, that 1 degree represents the same amount of heat.  When using a ruler to measure the length of something, the difference between 2 and 3 inches is 1 inch, and the difference between 10 and 11 inches is 1 inch -- no matter where on the ruler that 1 inch lies, it still represents the same amount of distance Ratio – just like interval, except that a variable on the ratio scale has a true zero point--a beginning or ending point  “I’m twice as tall as you!”  Kelvin temperature scale, height, length, etc Rank-order – no equal “difference” between ranks st nd rd  i.e., the order in which athletes come in rank: 1 , 2 ,
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 210

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit